2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EGR Valve Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road
Default EGR Valve Issue

I searched and could not find an article or how-to...actually "egr" came up with no results whatsoever. Which is odd...so if anyone can link me that would be awesome. Otherwise:

When I got my Blazer (1995 4x4 LT) the EGR valve was dead. Upon removing it, I found that it was actually stuck open. It was held open with little ***** of carbon that had somehow found their way into the plunger. Being I had a new one handy, I put it on anyway. Three days later, it was running the same way. I removed the valve, knocked the carbon deposits out, and then revved the engine without the valve on. A lot of nasty stuff flew out. I was satisfied. Put it back on. All was well for a few months. I then used seafoam in my truck. The EGR is acting the same way. I know when I take it off here in a minute it will have those same little ***** holding it open making it run erratically under 1500 rpm. My question is, is there some "standard" way to fix this issue? Should it happen again being I won't be using seafoam again for quite a while? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Seafoam did not cause the problem. The carbon in the EGR supply pipe did. Seafoam helped knock some of it loose. I have used a pipe cleaner in the EGR supply pipe to knock the carbon loose. I used a few different lengths of pipe cleaner. The longest one was a brass one at about 4' total length including the handle. The actual cleaner part of it was only about 6" long. Places like Grainger & McMaster Carr sell them.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if your incredibly lazy (me!) you can always get a set of pipe brushes from harbor freight for like $2. Nip the loop off the end of your favorite, drop it in the handy dandy dremel, and BLAM instant polish

Also when you put the ERG valve back on, use a screened gasket to prevent some of the chunkier bits from passing through. Also tape some tubing to a hand vac and clean up the crud you knocked loose before reinstalling.... I doubt any of that REALLY helps, but it makes you feel beter, and every one knows placebo is the best meds

Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Haha....thanks. I found a huge lump of...crap in there. All is well again. For now.