Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Just purchased CB. Need a clean install method.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just purchased CB. Need a clean install method.

Topic explains it all mostly. I purchased a cheap Cobra radio and antenna.. now I need a cleaner method of installing it. Plan to do it Monday at school so I can have some access to decent tools. This is basically what I need:

[ul][*] A wire that is switched and won't interfere with the signal of the CB. Radio seems to work except when I roll my windows up or down and moving the power seat. I need the color of the wire please.[*] Need some ideas for mounting locations. I have mine mounted to the driver side switch panel that controls the lights but it's in the way of everything.[*] Also need an idea for running cables and hiding them.
[/ul]

Any help is appreciated and anyone in Russellville Kentucky area who wants to chat chances are you'll find me.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Just purchased CB. Need a clean install method.

I mounted mine beneath the radio, center of the dash. Not sure if you a similar spot on the 1st gens. I tapped power to the cigarette lighter (I wanted constant power so I can use with the truck off), and got a nice ground on the firewall...at least I hope its a nice ground..

I hid all excess wires beneath the center console. I do get a bit of interference with the window motors, but I kinda blame a less than perfect ground...it works for my purposes though

Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it's "dirty" wired in. I thought about the ash tray below the radio. Removing it and mounting it there. From there I might go to your idea of tapping the cigarette lighter. But I wonder if using the cell phone charger will caused interference with anything. Oh well, any other ideas to bounce off of? That sounds like a good idea there Wolfpack and I am going to go give that a shot. Appreciate the idea Wolfpack.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
whiteblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Also try a cigarette lighter adapter you can buy at canadian tire/maby walmart, thats what i used but i still have interference with the power windows as well. I think your gonna get that no matter what but i could be wrong.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i had my cb grounded to the body mount under the truck and a direct power off the positive on the battery and i had it mounted in the center console the only wire that you could see was my coax doin out the tail gate to get my 102" whip. i got the cb hooked up in the silverado 2 weekends ago i just have to get some pics of it. here a pic of how the cb was mounted in the jimmy

jimmyboy
aka silveradoboy

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a pic when I was installing mine. I cut the trim piece above the center console (Below the radio) and I fabed up a new AC line so it would work. In the pic it was even wired up to the fuse box, just need the antenna to be hooked up and the mic.