Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What did i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default What did i do?

So i installed my stereo from my k5 back into my s10 blazer today, for some reason my ground is orange and my power cable is brown, i assumed the ground was the power and hooked them both up backwards, power to ground, ground to power and had it on for about 1 minute when i realized what i did.

Having some trouble getting power to the amp now and im wondering what kind of dmg i could have done, i checked the main fuses they dont look blown and i never smelled anything burning.

Any ideas on stuff i should check after doing that?

doh!

Thanks guys,

Old 11-29-2013, 02:02 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

If you're using the amp remote/power antenna (typically blue wire or blue with white stripe) to turn on your amp it's very possible the circuit for that output is kaput.

It's easy enough to verify by connecting the remote wire to the switched 12v lead (typically connected to the RED wire on the HU harness) and see if the amp comes on then.

I'm assuming the orange and brown wires you're speaking of are the vehicle harness wire colors. If that's the case it sounds like the factory harness plug has been cut off, has it? Did you do that? I don't know anyone who has done that who didn't have problems either right away or later down the road because they couldn't wire things right. Harness adapters are too cheap to not use them. If you didn't cut it off and are having to deal with it I can sure sympathize with you on it.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

thanks for the reply, i did not cut the original harness off, i have an adaptor on there for sure, dont want to mess with that.

the orange and brown wires are my ground and power cable that run to the amp that powers the sub.

Last edited by Brian_D; 11-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

What kind of amp are you running? So the wires for the amp are some odd colors, lol. I assume the brown wire is ran up to the battery positive terminal and the orange is bolted to the body somewhere near your amp, is that correct? As far as the amp, if you connected it's main power and ground connections up backwards there is a possibility that you've damaged something internally. Electronics in general really don't like reverse voltages. I would see if you can borrow another amp from someone and make sure everything with your wiring is working right. At that point if the borrowed amp works then you know you've got an internal problem with yours, if it has a difficult time also then I would go through EVERY connection and double check it. Do you have a DMM or voltmeter? Check the voltage on the remote wire to verify that it's getting the proper 12v. As a matter of fact while you're at it go ahead and measure the voltage at the power terminals on the amp to make sure you've got something within a few tenths of a volt from the battery's voltage. Another thing to check is to make sure the mounting screws that mount the amp aren't touching or attached to the sheet metal of the vehicle. It's not super common, but on some amps that can cause issues as well.

I'll think about it a bit more and see if there's anything else I forgot to cover on the issue but that's about all there is to it. The circuits are otherwise too simple to have any other problems.