Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blew out transmission coolant line

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
madmaxxed is on a distinguished road
Default Blew out transmission coolant line

I decided to take my 1999 Blazer for a drive to work this afternoon. Just around the corner I noticed a smell and what looked like water from behind me. Once I realized it was was transmission fluid I quickly pulled over and shut it down. I noticed the transmission was slipping and once I popped the hood I found the upper coolant line going to the radiator had popped off spraying fluid everywhere. I reconnected the line and attached the plastic support piece over the clip. All should be well with the line now. It took about 6 quarts of fluid. I am heading out for a 2 hour drive up north tomorrow. Should I be worried? It feels okay but can't tell if it's hitting all gears. Thx!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

As long as you caught it right away, you should not have a problem with it if there was no problems before.
If you had not noticed it, that would be a different story

Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Starting Member

I noticed within a few minutes. I came to a stop, accelerated to notice the transmission wasn't pushing the blazer like it should. When I noticed the trail of fluid and a couple puddles from stop and go, I parked it and shut it down. I would say the distance was less than an 1/8th of a mile if not less while it was leaking a trail.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I think you should not have any problems, as long as you top it off correctly, you should be good.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

wonder why it popped out. make sure that clip is ok and theres no crap in there preventing it from seating properly. if it popped back in easily, give it a few tugs backwards to make sure its secured in there.

if you wanna be paranoid bring some extra trans fluid for your trip

Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Starting Member

The clip was okay. I'm certain the problem was due to the plastic retaining clip was not seated properly after I installed the new radiator. I didn't think it would've made that much of a difference but it did. All is well now. I put a bit of tension on the metal clip so it would snap in/on tighter and got the ring completely seated over it. I pulled on the line to really make sure. The two hour trip was okay aside from an out of balance tire that would shake the blazer at random speeds between 65-75.