Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

dead motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 AM
chev4x4x2 is on a distinguished road
Default dead motor

ok so i bought my 96 blazer used a few months ago
was reciently saftied prior to me buying it (only about a month before) so i was under the impression the truck was running well. i did a couple minor tune up actions to it
pcv valve, air filter , just little things
the truck ran great , i drove it , wife was driving it to work when it snowed heavy
the truck never heated right up to normal opp. temp. this bothered me but i assumed it was a thermostat issue (and living in manitoba we get an average mins 20 degrees celcius every day in the winter) so i was going to chalk some of the cooler running temp up to that.
tranny shifted great motor ran good
put roughly 1000 kms on it untill today when it croked
motor has 238000 kms on it
driving home from the in laws today (bout a 30 mile drive from the city) i started to loose acceleration power seemed like the tranny was slipping , i then went from regular operating to 0 oil pressure in mere minuites , it then stalled out and i pulled over opened the hood and sounded like boiling water (the coolant) and it was puking out the over flow line on the resovoir
i got a ride home from a friend , got my half ton towed it home and i get it in the garage to find stinky somewhat milky looking oil and tryed to turn it over and got a terrible noise when i tryed
research online has let me to believe this was a head gasket issue that went from bad to worse in 2 min and now i need to rebuild the motor or just plain on swap it!!!

ANY advice or tips will be greatly appreciated

oh and for the record im blessed enough to own an OBDII code reader and prior to all this it said my Ho2 sensors needed to be replaced
i discovered that about a week ago
is this \ could this be in any way related to the neglect of chagning the sensors

thanks again!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an unfortunate coincidence. But your motor is likely smoked so a rebuild or replace is in your near future.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:05 PM

That's what I suspected.
Talking with a few guys at work , they were saying the same thing.
I guess I have a new project for this weekend.
Thanks.

Anyone near Winnipeg MB willing to work for beer ? lol

Old 02-13-2010, 08:10 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue. water in the oil and wiped out the mains. I picked up a used nice engine from a local salvage yard. 60K on it for 450 bucks. A couple of weekends with some friends help and I was back on the road. It is not a horrible task. there are some things that can slow you down. Ask back if you have any issuer and we can share what we have learned with you.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Hey thanks guys I appreciate the advice
So today im going out to scout out a new motor
I've started to pull the accessories off my pooched one in the truck as well as anything else thats gunna interfere
should i pull with our without the tranny
ive heard the tranny bolts are hard to get at
ive never pulled a rear wheel or 4 wheel drive motor
only done front wheel drive offsets
got all the gear and the tools and a haynes manual
just need a lil advice from someone whos done it b4
i understand if i pull with tranny i have to remove driveshafts front and rear as well as shift cable and all associated harnesses and lines
is it possible and if so maybe easier to pull without the tranny?

thanks again guys!!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Without the tranny. You will have to drop the tail of the trans down to reach the top driver side bolt. Other than that, it will just take a little time. A long extension and a swivel will aid greatly in getting to the bell housing bolts. Just flop the AC compressor over and tie it out of the way. The engine has plenty of room with the rad and front accessories off.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

boy, talk about bad timing!

it's really not to bad of a job to pull the engine on these trucks, but it was a lot easier when they had the steel pans on them (both the engine/trans could come out in one shot).

i'm sure Kyle will correct this if i'm not 100%, but i'm pretty sure there is only a certain span of years where the engines are interchangeable.

good luck with the task, and it looks like you've started a build thread-unintentionally of course.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:17 PM

so finding a 4.3 vortec has been harder than ive thought
after about 10 phone calls and half a dozen visits to local salvage yards my search has left me empty handed
i found one yard said they get them in on a regular basis
but told me they go for around 1000 dollars canadian
wozers
i can get a cab 350 and turbo 350 trans for around that
now that has got me thinking
i mentioned in another thread that i was researching the famous v8 swap into an s series and i was informed that they actually have a manual that aids in that process , and focus' on the swap and a secion that pertains specificly to the 2nd gen trucks
but 2 things keep me hesitant about this
one) they base the build on a 2wd model... with the 4 wd its apparantly harder even to find parts because parts from a late 80s vette are required
two) they were using an lt1 and or lt4 motor

I also ran into information saying that a swap to a 5.7 vortec from a 96-00' half ton is easier

good to know but

can i swap out my fuelie and go carb?
i know anything is possible but for having a fully loaded truck (electric everything , push button 4x4 etc) am i going to loose these functions or is it going to be mind boggling to adapt them to a carb motor?

id rather go carb because their easier to work on

thanks for the replys guys
glad i joined the fourm
and as i said earlier
any tips or advice are greatly appreciated!!!

its mild today only minus 7 degress celcius im goin out to the garage !!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Hey man. Try this website. Someone turned me on to it here on the forum. You can find anything you want where ever you want. I've already bought stuff using it. It's great.
http://www.car-part.com/