General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Buying 99 Blazer 4x4 today... or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Blazer99Mo is on a distinguished road
Default Buying 99 Blazer 4x4 today... or not?

Hello - Obviously I'm new to the forum, and I hope I'm here to stay. But I guess that depends what happens at the dealer later today.

I am looking at a 1999 Blazer, 4x4, 2 door, silver, 75,000 mls. It is at local dealer with a good reputation (Toyota dealer in St. Louis). It was a local car with clean Carfax.

They just took in the Blazer yesterday on trade, so it had not been processed completly through their shop. Which is a PLUS for me, because I could see how the prvious owner kept it... and its BEAUTIFUL. If their is any such thing as near excellent for a 10 year old SUV, this is it, and believe me I know about old cars.

Perfect interior, perfect paint, NEW tires, clean as a whistle inside, NO scuff marks on the skid plates, runs smooth at idle and cruise, no vibrations at high speeds, smooth shifting, smooth breaking, firm steering.

It was listed at $5995, but since the General Manager is a friend of the Pastor at the church where I work, they immediately took the price down to $4995 including paperwork fee's and crap. So it seems like a good deal.

I had my mechanic check it out, and here is what I found it needs:

- LOWER ball joints
- Axel seal (right front)
- CV boot (left front)

So now they have it in their shop to determine if they need to change the Ball Joints as a safety item for Missouri State inspection.

Listen, I know that in this range I should NEVER expect perfection... I know I'll have problems later, absolutely. But I don't want to drive off the lot with known issues if I can avoid it.

My question to you guys is this: Is the price good enough that EVEN if they won't fix ANY of these issues, should I still consider it a good deal? Or should I be a harda$$ about the 500-600 worth of pending work that needs to be done and ask to lower the price or fix it.

I am waiting for the callback, so I don't know what they are going of suggest yet. Just curious about what you guys had to say.

Thanks, and hope I get to join the club. It really a cool truck... and I want it.

Mike
St. Louis, MO

Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how much you want to heckle. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal on it.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Blazer99Mo is on a distinguished road

It seems like a good deal. As far as KBB goes it's about average, but when I actually search on autotrader and such, it seems like a great deal. Especially for the condition... minus the ball joints, of course.

I'll find out tomorrow what they have in mind.