General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I have a dilema...i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Starting Member
hotrod413 is on a distinguished road
Default I have a dilema...i need advice

Ok, so I just dumped 400 into my s10 blazer. Plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor cap, heater core, brakes, and another 200 at the P-N-P on misc crap.

Then this morning, the tranny decides to take a dump, and I had to have a tow (yeah thats bad)

I called around for quotes on a rebuild, and it ranges from 900-2400

My neighbors friend has a 1976 or 77 full size for sale. It runs decent, 4x4 works great, and he is only asking 1000 for it (1500, but he will sell it to me for 1000)

in order to get it, I need to sell my 93. The guy that towed my 93 offered me 300 for it(i told him 300, he accepted), plus the 200 in my pocket, makes 500. I get paid another 584 in less then a week, then Ill have the 1000 for the full size

would it be worth it, to buy the full size? Does anyone have any sources for trannies, or a cheap reliable place to have them rebuilt?

I really really want to keep the 93, but its not 4x4, and the tranny just went out. The full size is ready to offroad............

what would you guys do?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Ya, that's a dilemma, looking strictly at money, and the fact you want a 4x4 I would go for the 1000 dollar full size.
BUT
the full size is MUCH older, as a daily driver it's probably harder on gas, especially if it's full time 4wd.
How much is another tranny at the pick and pull? You may be better off going this route and selling the blown tranny for a few hundred dollars just to ease the price of the labour to have it installed. This may be cheaper than having it rebuilt, especially if a new tranny is less than 900 bucks.

That's what I'd look at.

Other's will have other opinions.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Check Craig's List, I see trannys on there ALL the time.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Starting Member

I looked, and the only ones are used, and newer for 500 bux. for 400 more, I can hae a completely rebuilt one......

Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

Just my train of thought I'd say go with the full size because I prefer them to the newer ones. Also take into account that the full size is older as tain stating so not only is there a gas guzzler dilemma but also the fact your more liable to run into issues. So you could more then likely get stuck working on your truck more then you drive it, like I do. But if you have another car that makes a good DD then I wouldn't see any problems in saving some money and getting a 4x4.

Also if you know how to do the work and decide to keep your 93 just have the trans rebuilt and install it yourself to save a little money that way.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm on the same track as Pat. If this is your DD going to an older, larger vehicle may not be the best idea. My guess is you'd be spending much more on gas plus it's a lot older, so look for things to break easier and more often.
But then again for 1000$ I guess you can't really go wrong. Full sized Blazers are bad *** too, so you could definitely have some fun in it.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Starting Member

I just sold my blazer .....I should have seen the full size before I sold mine....Its not a full size blazer lol

Its a 1986 gmc high sierra long bed. It has a 6" lift, 4:11 gears front and rear, supposed to be dana 60's. It has a rebuilt engine, and front end, and a grannied 4 speed. The body is straight minus a dent on the drivers fender, and some rust bubbles on the passenger cab corner. All in all its not bad, and I can definately see myself driving it...only until I can get a real full size blazer haha

I didnt fix my blazer because we only have a 1 car garage, and no yard to work on it in, or I would have kept it in a heartbeat.....

Last edited by hotrod413; 09-19-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: adl info