Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

after market fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM
miltthomas is on a distinguished road
Default after market fog lights

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy.It has stock fog lights built into the headlights.And I have some after market fog like that I will like to install.How do I tap into the power wire on the stock fog lights to power them on?Please help.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

The stock fogs should be fed with two wires each. One is black and the other will be a different color (If anyone knows what color that would be good info) Tap into the wire that is not black for the positive for your new fogs, and find a place to ground the negative wire for the new ones and you are good.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 PM
miltthomas is on a distinguished road

Thank You...That was so helpfull

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by miltthomas
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy.It has stock fog lights built into the headlights.And I have some after market fog like that I will like to install.How do I tap into the power wire on the stock fog lights to power them on?Please help.

I trust you got real fog lamps. The type the factories put on really isn't very good in fog. You want yellow in case of white out conditions in low fog as well as snow and you want a fluted lens to keep the light beam low to the ground. The factory fog lamps are really only good for annoying oncoming drivers.

Use a test light or volt meter to find the hot wire for the fog lamps. Run a wire from that to a relay for your new ones. Hook it to the switched terminal on the relay. Wire the rest of it up like the instructions in the kit tell you and when you turn your factory fog lights on, the new ones will come on.