New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Electrical Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Question(s)

I have just purchased a 96 Jimmy,I assume it is very similar to the Blazer.
(You know what happens when you assume)
I also own a 82 Silverado, a 65 galaxie and a 93 Corolla.

This new high tech jimmy has electrical problems....
All the lights work, except the brake lights.
I can get them to work if I push in on the indicator/ washer switch.(push towards the dash) while stepping on the brake peddle. I am guessing that the switch needs replacing.
I am trying to remove the indicator/washer switch assembly and the plastic dash face which retains the
vents that dirrect which way the air is blowing along with a wack of switches.

I have the lower plastic shroud disconnected (behind the steering wheel), but cannot figure our how to remove the upper shroud without wrecking it. It seems tight around the ignition switch and aginst the instrument cluster , I did figure out how to remove the tilt steering actuator lever.

OnceI get the shroud off (with the help of you fine folks) I am also having problems disconnecting the
leads to the rear window wiper connector harness ( there are two plugs that have two blue tabs)
I cant figure out how to disconnect these (push/pull both tabs then yank the plastic connector out ???

It sure was easier working on the older stuff...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regard's
Chris

Old 11-02-2007, 10:02 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Electrical Question(s)

Welcome to the forum Chris! Yes you are on the right track with the multifunction switch, to remove the upper steering column cover, you have to access the inverted-torx head screw just above the ignition lock cylinder and toward the steering wheel. As a matter of fact on this model, I think there are 2 of them, the other is easily seen from the left side of the steering wheel, and screws into a hex-shaped plastic extention that extends to the upper column cover. Once you remove these 2 screws, you then have to pull the cover up on the left side to access a tiny hole in the aluminum housing that the ignition cylinder goes into. Insert a 90 degree angled pick into this hole and push down with the ign cyl. in the start position to remove the lock cylinder...then you can remove the upper column cover. I'm not sure what you mean exactly about the connectors you need help with, can you post a picture of it?