1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Aftermarket oil filter sandwich adapter size ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket oil filter sandwich adapter size ?

Greetings all,

I am looking for information that would lead me to purchasing the correct size oil filter sandwich adapter plate for my vehicle.
The vehicle is in Tennessee and when Im up there (a couple days at a time), I dont really have time to run around town or order something online before having to depart.
I'd like to go ahead and order the parts and have me shipped up there, so I can get to work as soon as I fly in.
I know ideally, these adapters are not too awfully popular, but looking something fairly cheap and in-expensive to install,l so I can run accessory gauges vs the digital cluster.

The vehicle is a 94 GMC Jimmy SLT 4x4 with the glorious 4.3L Vortec mounted to an auto transmission. Of course with this monster being a 4x4, the oil filter is mounted on the drivers side fender.

Anyone know what size sandwich plate I need to toss on the stock filter housing so I can run those accessory gauges?

I was tinkering around GlowShifts website and there seems to be several available. Ironically, when searching under GMC, the Sierra and Yukon models are the only thing that shows up...was going to use Checy Blazer as the alternative model to search by.

Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/sear...apter&limit=21

Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

If you're not concerned about keeping the factory oil pressure gauge function, you can always completely remove the sensor from the engine and just tap into the oil pressure there (on the top side back of the engine block, just behind/beside where the distributor passes through the intake manifold). If you want to leave the factory sensor in place, you could always add in a T fitting there and lave the original sensor threaded into one and thread your new gauge into the other power, but I couldn't begin to tell you what thread sizes those are... Either way, it would probably be a cleaner install than the filter sandwich adapter you're thinking about using...

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-12-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I was also thinking of doing a "T" back there as well for the pressure reading, then thought why not get an oil temp sensor too...yadda yadda yadda, hence the sandwich deal. Pressure is my main concern at this point. I have seen little 1/8 npt pieces for sale that offer an extra port, so install shouldn't be too awfully bad. Figure I'd have to remove dist cap for room. I have limited tools up there, but luckily Harbor Freight is 25 mins down the road. I haven't messed with Jimmy in awhile...does that sensor sit up and down, or lay to the side by chance? I need to buy one for crap and gigs...also, is it a 3 terminal connection you think? Found conflicting part #s. :/

Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Hello all,

Got an answer from Glowshift.
The size recommended for my specific install is 18MM x1.5