1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Having some problems and making weird noises!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough
Default Having some problems and making weird noises!!

Hi all,
I just bought my '94 4x4 a couple weeks ago, and already I'm having some issues.

I had a stalling issue when I first got it, so had diagnostics run and it was some sensor that needed adjustment. Since then no stalling, but it does run quite rough, and chokes a great deal when not ideally warm.

I've also noticed a very odd harmonica-like sound that seems to be coming from under my middle air vents. Itonly happens when I'm in first gear, about to shift into second. Also noticed the other day it happened when I was on the highway, and the transmission shifted down so I could pass someone.

Also when I make a very sharp cut of the wheel to the left or right, I hear this huge BANG....reminds me of the sound my old FWD Dodge used to make back when the CV axles were bad....only much much louder.

One more thing, too...There is a not too loud, but noticeable, scraping coming from the rear of the vehicle. Reminds me of warped brake rotors, but the previous owner replaced the brakes and such before I purchased the vehicle, and I'm told the rear brakes are drum brakes, anyway.

Also my 4X4 isn't working, it engages (like, when you pt it in N and push the button, then put it in R theres a "thunk")...and all the relays click....but only the rear wheels spin.

Any ideas, anyone?

Old 02-17-2007, 03:51 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Having some problems and making weird noises!!

Wow! That's a lot of problems for one little post.

Was your stalling issue a TPS adjustment? I would get it scanned again and check for a possible "lazy" oxygen sensor.

Harmonica?

The bang could be a front c/v joint...check for torn rubber boots or a lot of grease near the c/v joints.

I would pull off the rear brake drums and check for any fresh marks from metal rubbing on metal.

Possible vacuum leak (also a possible cause of rough idle). Check vacuum hose at vacuum resevoir (ball) under the hood (probably on the drivers' side near the firewall.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 PM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

I want to say the adjustment was MAP sensor....my husband was the one who took it to have diagnostics done....and YES, it sounds like a harmonica...or, more like, a kid blowing obnoxiously on a harmonica. Just one note, LOL.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Starting Member
Mbastet99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The banging noise could possibly be torsion bar (not sure if it would make noise turning both ways, but mine sure does when I make a sharp left!)

Old 02-18-2007, 04:41 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if your "harmonica" is a vacuum leak under the dash....maybe by the heater controls? Just guessing....