1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Broken Mulifunction Switch and Horn Beeping

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
tony991 is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Mulifunction Switch and Horn Beeping

I was taking a left so I put the left blinker on, I turned left and the steering wheel didn't want to return. So I forced it to avoid going into the cars in the other lane. It made a real loud click/crack noise. I drove down the street for about 200 ft and noticed it was now making grinding/clicking noises inside the steering colum and the mulifunction switch was bouncing up and down a little and I can feel resistance in the steering wheel everytime it made a noise. I drove like this for about a mile made another left turn and the horn started beeping by itself. Now when I use the blinker the horn beeps. The mutifunction switch still works but I can tell its broken. How do I take the mulifunction switch out of the colum? Or is it more than just the mulifunction switch. This is on my 1988 S10 Blazer.
Thanks!!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Which vehicle is this in? I'm assuming that it is your '88 that you have listed given the description of the problem & its affects. If that is the case, you have busted the turn signal switch which also carries the contact for the horn.

If it's the '01, then you have bigger problems on your hands. The problem likely originated in the clock spring assembly, and has broken things to the point of damaging the multifunction switch. If that is the case, consider yourself lucky that the air bag didn't blow up in your face!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 AM
tony991 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Which vehicle is this in? I'm assuming that it is your '88 that you have listed given the description of the problem & its affects. If that is the case, you have busted the turn signal switch which also carries the contact for the horn.

If it's the '01, then you have bigger problems on your hands. The problem likely originated in the clock spring assembly, and has broken things to the point of damaging the multifunction switch. If that is the case, consider yourself lucky that the air bag didn't blow up in your face!
No, the problem's in my 88 blazer. Good thing it wasn't in my 01!!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to pull the steering wheel & replace the turn signal switch assembly. It's not really difficult. The worst parts of the job are removing the steering wheel & then removing the steering lock plate. The proper tools make this pretty easy.