Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Broken selector knob and vacuum switch lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Tortex53 is on a distinguished road
Default Broken selector **** and vacuum switch lines

In short, I have three main questions: Will a loose 4x4 selector **** make it difficult to engage the transfer case and how to fix it, how to differentiate between the ports of the vacuum switch on the transfer case, and where a broken hose on the tee of another vacuum line going to the transfer case is supposed to go.

The other day I got stuck in some mud right off of a driveway. Definitely embarrassing, but it helped me to see that my 4x4 is in need of some help. This is the first time using four wheel drive in this vehicle, so I might have some operator errors in addition to real errors.

When engaging the four wheel drive, I had a hard time getting it out of two wheel drive into 4-hi and then again going into neutral and then 4-low. I think I had to put it into park to get it into 4-hi and then into neutral to get it into 4-low, and at some point there was some grinding of gears. Even when I got the selector to the right location, there were times that it didn't seem like it had engaged the transfer case like it should have. I have a 1995 2 door that has the manual selector lever on the floor, not the push button selector on the dash. The handle part of the selector lever is loose and can be pulled of the top. I'm not sure if this could be causing a problem, but, regardless, is there a way to fix the selector ****?

Also, when I did get 4-low engaged, when I stepped on the gas it seemed to have some lag time before the transmission engaged. Is this normal?

And the biggest problem is that the front wheels weren't spinning. I've looked this up and it seems like it is either the vacuum line or the vacuum actuator. Earlier this year I had the transfer case out, and I noticed that one of the three vacuum lines going to the transfer case had a tee in it, and after tee the line was cut or frayed. So I spliced what seemed to be the broken end coming out of the transfer case connector (three lines) into the tee. Now that I have looked at a diagram, I think that that was a vent line, but I'm not sure where the broken section of the line after the tee was supposed to go. Any ideas? And is there a way to tell a difference between ports A, B, and #9 on the transfer case vacuum switch?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This illustration should explain things:

Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Wow, that does help! Where do you get all of this stuff? Any thoughts on how to fix the 4x4 selector handle?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That last diagram was from a google search believe it or not.

What are you referring to as a '4x4 selector handle'? Do you have the manually shifted NV231 transfer case?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Well, I guess that that would be it. The manual selector is on the floor. The handle **** with the button is loose and can be pulled off.

I've never driven a 4x4 with an automatic transmission, but is it normal to have to shift into park to be able to shift into 4-hi? And is it normal to have gears grind some when transferring to four wheel drive?

Last edited by Tortex53; 01-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road

I would put it in neutral when you shift. I had a 94 with the manual shift and I always put it in neutral and never had my gears grind.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Going from 2HI to 4HI should be able to be done while driving down the road, however, if things are old and worn, it may not engage like it did when new. Putting it into neutral definitely saves the wear and tear on the engagement mechanisms.

If you are actually shifting too far when attempting a 2HI to 4HI shift and going into neutral, it is perfectly understandable that grinding would occur.

For 4LO, you must be in neutral and moving less than 3mph.

As far as your shift handle goes, it sounds like something is broken inside. It has been a long time since I have seen a NV231 shifter though.