1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

car dies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default car dies?

Sometimes when I go to start the car I have to crank it for a good 5-7 seconds to get it to start which leads me to believe my fuel pump is bad. But if it was my fuel pump wouldn't it be acting up at idle or while going down the road? Because, my car only tries do die when I have to put on the brakes then make a sharp turn then to get it going again you have to push put the gas pedal about half way to the floor and crank it and hold your foot on the gas for a good 2 seconds or so to get it to stay running and it is normally fallowed by black smoke shooting out the exhaust.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like you've got float problems in your carb.

how many miles? original carb, or has it ever been rebuilt?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Origional carb from the looks of it. Miles is unknown someone broke the odomoter at some point in time but I would assume quite high since it's a 84 and the average person drives somewhere around 12k a year so at most I would think 300,000 because it was sitting for a few years before I bought it.

Do you think the carb might just need adjusted or might just need a new carb?
Because I had the carb inspected about 4 months ago and the mechanic that took a look at it said it was set right. But I'm honestly clueless when it comes to carbs never worked on one or anything.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Origional carb from the looks of it......................
Do you think the carb might just need adjusted or might just need a new carb?
Because I had the carb inspected about 4 months ago and the mechanic that took a look at it said it was set right. But I'm honestly clueless when it comes to carbs never worked on one or anything.
i would have the carb rebuilt, not replaced. and the chances of ever having to buy a BN one is pretty slim. most carb rebuilder shops have many, many cores for such a reason.

have you talked to the guy who looked @ it so many months ago?

it could be something as simple as a sticky needle, or it could be more serious like debris getting in side. the passageways inside the carb are so small, a grain of sand will inside it, would be like shoving a towel down your intake, chocking off the air/fuel supply.

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Sometimes when I go to start the car I have to crank it for a good 5-7 seconds to get it to start which leads me to believe my fuel pump is bad. But if it was my fuel pump wouldn't it be acting up at idle or while going down the road? Because, my car only tries do die when I have to put on the brakes then make a sharp turn then to get it going again you have to push put the gas pedal about half way to the floor and crank it and hold your foot on the gas for a good 2 seconds or so to get it to stay running and it is normally fallowed by black smoke shooting out the exhaust.
i had a '85 2WD Jimmy do something similar. if you took a fast left, it'd stall/choke itself, and would start back up under the same circumstances as your truck. unfortunately, the truck had an unknown electrical problem, to which the FD beside work told me about-right after they extinguished the truck. so i never did figure out what exactly was the issue, but the mileage was right around what yours might be (mine was @ 385xxx kms when it went bye-bye).

while you're @ it, check and see what the actual fuel pressure is, @ idle, driving, and trying to mimic the situation where it occures. this will @ least give tyou some insight into what's going on with the fuel system, thereby helping to eliminate it, or highlight it.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Oh, ok thanks any idea what it might cost to rebuild a carb because O'rilies wants like $500 for a new one.

Or would something like carburetor cleaner maby take care of the problem?

Last edited by 84BlazerS10; 08-05-2010 at 04:25 PM.