1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

cv axle pains...and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member
bob_elder is on a distinguished road
Default cv axle pains...and other questions

hi yall i have a 1989 s 10 blazer and i am replacin the cv axle on the pass side and i am runnin into problem after problem. first i had the problem of gettin the spindle off which i just figured out and got off but then i am into the problem of getting the cv axle removed from the axle housing(?) there is 5 or 6 bolts on there and they are really tight and i am having trouble with gettin it to stay stationary but when i try to crank on the bolts the axle shaft and wut not turns...any way i can get it to stop turning or to lock? on another topic what is the easiest and cheapest way to go about lifting my blazer as i do not want to spend 1200 buck on a lift kit, ive heard about crankin the torision key(?) but then wut about the rear? ive also noticed that i can probably do a axle flip since it is sprung under and i wopuld like to get a bit more clearence but then i noticed that the shock mounts would probably have to be relocated, another thing i would like to know is is there any cheap hop ups i can do to get this thing to be a lil more gutsy? its pretty much gutless....any advice? thanks yall

Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Beginning Member

from the cv axle it goes to this plate with 6 bolts in it and it looks like its two pieces and im guessing this is the axle tube its connected to. my problem is is that i try takin it out ,cuz it is loose now, BUT that round pice hits the frame rail and then it stops. can i separate that plate and just reblot a new one on when i get my cv axle or no? im so lost and itsx really startin to get frustrating

Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take a picture of how things are hitting each other. I have changed CV shafts on these older 4wd s-series trucks and never had one hit the frame before it was free of the axle. Something doesn't sound right.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member

turns out that piece, which was the end of the cv axel, was just on snug and i had to hit it to shock it loose.got it fixed and it turns out that the other one needs to be replaced. i really do hate these dang cv axles.