1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine lost its power

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

It says you have changed most of the ignition system parts, did you have the distributor up out of its hole? Maybe you should check timing on it. Have a triple look over the plug wires to make sure they are on the right spots. Also a fuel pressure reading would be nice too.

If you are set on fixing it yourself you may want to invest in some critical tools for the job. A Timing light and Fuel pressure gauge can be had for cheap if you look around - less than 80 bucks. You dont need an expensive timing light, just a basic one will do. Again I say, ask neighbors if they have one you can borrow. Everyone has a neighbor thats always revving cars with the garage door open or has souped cars parked outside all the time - those are the people that own the stuff you need to borrow.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Starting Member
jannes_z-28 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kristoph30
I am thinking you may need to start from ground zero. Is the engine in good condition mechanically? What is the compression in all cylinders? how many miles? what about the timing chain?
Do you have anyone else that can work with you? sometimes a fresh set of eyes can spot the obvious that you have been overlooking. Believe me - Ive been there!

Compression is checked and shows good figures.

Timing chain is good, I have checked the timing and it is in its correct position.

I have some people that I am consulting on this.

Last night we got 10 inches of snow and I haven't had time to dig out the car yet...

Jan

Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ohsofly
It says you have changed most of the ignition system parts, did you have the distributor up out of its hole? Maybe you should check timing on it. Have a triple look over the plug wires to make sure they are on the right spots. Also a fuel pressure reading would be nice too.

If you are set on fixing it yourself you may want to invest in some critical tools for the job. A Timing light and Fuel pressure gauge can be had for cheap if you look around - less than 80 bucks. You dont need an expensive timing light, just a basic one will do. Again I say, ask neighbors if they have one you can borrow. Everyone has a neighbor thats always revving cars with the garage door open or has souped cars parked outside all the time - those are the people that own the stuff you need to borrow.

Thanks for the concern, I have most of the tools except the fuel pressure checker. Timing seems to be correct at least when it is cranking on the starter. I will disconnect the fuel return line to see if there is some obstruction there as a friend suggested. It is worth a try.

Jan

Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

What were the figures on the compression? How many miles are on the engine since it was built? How did you verify the timing chain is good? I am trying to get a picture in my head of this motor and these are peices of information that would help. Good luck with the snow. We havent had a day above freezing here in over a month and the snow is just getting deeper and deeper.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

What kind of engine is it? Code W or Z (CPI or TBI) If you have a Code Z (TBI) and the pump is for a W you're putting way too much fuel pressure to it. But yes, you're running real rich. No more codes? Oops just reread what kind of motor you have. Fuel pressure should not be over 20 PSI with a Code Z and probably not even that much.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Reading your earlier posts....Didnt you say you had a MAP sensor HIGH code??? That says the ECM is seeing a higher voltage signal than it should. You need to verify this is taken care of. This doesnt neccesarily mean the sensor is bad. could be a wiring issue. Has the wiring in the Blazer been molested?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Starting Member

After many attempts to get my car running I have FINALLY found the cause of all my troubles.

The problem was a blocked cat. Drilling a hole in the pipe going in to the cat made my engine happy and it runs like normal again.

I had a friend over yesterday who has had a few S10 Blazers and he is quite experienced with cars. After all I have done he thought that the cat was the only thing left that could cause this behaviour and he was right!

Now I just have to replace the cat and go out on the road again.

Thanks for all the patience. This place it great!!

Jan