1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Beginning Member
BigBlu102 is on a distinguished road

tested with the multimeter and got a reading of 14.6 volts. So the gauge is just messed up. Now that i think about it, the gauge has always been high, even when the truck was running fine.

I asked a mechanic to change the filter and he called me back and said that it wouldn't do anything and replaced the ignition module instead which did nothing and cost more money. Then he replaced the ignition coil which did nothing. Then messed around with the O2 sensor which did nothing. They want to take off the (i think this is what they said) lower manifold? Something to look at the wiring to the fuel injector.

I personally think the computer is dying or its a fuel delivery issue. All the lights in the truck including the headlights flicker when started up cold now.

It started doing this when i had low coolant i think, we added coolant but the guy overfilled it. Could that do anything?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Let's be clear.. the only problem you should deal with is that voltage reading. Either the gauge is wrong and everything is okay in your charging circuit.. OR you are chancing frying everything again!!!
The volt indicator/gauge is in the dash, right?
WTH! Never thought of that. Why is a nineties production vehicle using a remote regulatorBTW... As Far as I know, there's a red warning band on the gauge. Wonder what they meant that?
Yeah.... Had a retarded moment.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Should be easy enough for your mechanic to see if the fuel injection spider is leaking, without taking the intake off. Have him check fuel pressure when the truck is running, and watch the gauge immediately after the engine is shut off. If it instantly goes to 0, you are losing fuel somewhere. If you aren't leaking from the exterior lines (you would likely smell/see this), then the leak would be inside the intake and will require removing it. That would mean either the regulator is bad (leaking fuel back to the tank) or the injection spider/internal feed line is bad (leaking fuel into the intake, running rich).

Last edited by workshop4ever; 02-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigBlu102
tested with the multimeter and got a reading of 14.6 volts. So the gauge is just messed up. Now that i think about it, the gauge has always been high, even when the truck was running fine.
Glad your voltage is not an issue... now you just need to find out what is.

I personally think the computer is dying or its a fuel delivery issue. All the lights in the truck including the headlights flicker when started up cold now.
Eh, mine flickers too. Just means the battery is probably on its way out. The computer would be more likely to completely fail, not flicker.

It started doing this when i had low coolant i think, we added coolant but the guy overfilled it. Could that do anything?
Overfilling the coolant will have no affect. The cap on the reservoir has holes in it, so any extra coolant would have just flown out the top and dripped under the car once the car got hot. It would have to be very overfilled for this to happen, and if it didn't happen then you just have a little extra reserve. Think of it as a beer. As long as it has fluid in it you are OK, too much means its spilling over the top, too little means you ran out and better get some more!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Beginning Member

The spider injector was just replaced in october though.

Would it help to mention this started IMMEDIATELY after getting Sh*tty quality gas?
I normally only fill up at Shell, Mobil/Exxon, BP, or Kwik Trip... But i went to a Marathon and it started acting stupid like this, but it has been getting worse.

Another person told me to try this, what do you think: Run the truck low on gas then fill up with the highest grade gas and see if the problem gets a little better, and that would tell me if it was the fuel filter?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The spider injector was just replaced in october though.

Would it help to mention this started IMMEDIATELY after getting Sh*tty quality gas?
I normally only fill up at Shell, Mobil/Exxon, BP, or Kwik Trip... But i went to a Marathon and it started acting stupid like this, but it has been getting worse.

Another person told me to try this, what do you think: Run the truck low on gas then fill up with the highest grade gas and see if the problem gets a little better, and that would tell me if it was the fuel filter?
I answered you in the OTHER THREAD you opened on this.
But it aint the brand, it's the franchisee/station.. and/or tanker driver. complain to Marathon.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I answered you in the OTHER THREAD you opened on this.
But it aint the brand, it's the franchisee/station.. and/or tanker driver. complain to Marathon.
complaining doesn't fix my truck though. i just want to have my baby back up and running so i can focus my spending on making her better... not just functional.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran

Then run a fuel pressure/leakdown test and/or verify nutkit lines are cracked or not.

I would actually open it up and look. A cracked return line {between FPR and tank} can be difficutl to find.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member

So you don't think it has anything to do with the fuel filter? And I did send a complaint to Marathon.... Maybe I'll get some sort of compensation, but i doubt it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran

Well the first rule is 'Changing the fuel filter cant hurt' especially if you know you've bought crap gas.

In fact if there's that big a piece of evidence, changing the filter is mandatory but if you have not run that gas out yet.. buy two.
Bad news is it COULD be so bad the Fuel pump pickup sock is crudded up. Run the FP test!

Well I'm not saying all marathons are bad. The one i went to is just a very shady and poorly maintained.
Great.. you're making my ppoint and sorta missing it at the same time

Replace that filter.
. see what comes out of the old one. I quit changing mine. Only do it when I get a different car. Because I am picky about where I buy gas.
Because I ALWAYS check what's in the old ones and do a little 'flow test' with a piece of tubing and a funnel.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-23-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Problem?