1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

HELP!! Truck wont start, no spark...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
cooolchick647 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!! Truck wont start, no spark...

Not too sure what happened in the first place, but just my luck, my 1993 GMC Jimmy will not start anymore and there is absolutely no spark..... not sure how this all connects but ill start at the beginning.... one day i ended up running out of gas like a dummy and once we put a couple gallons in the truck still wouldnt start so i got it towed home, of course once i get home, threw some starting fluid into the intake and sure enough fired right up, but for about 2 or 3 weeks after that, the same thing kept happening, no matter how much gas, the truck would stall out....at first only here and there and and after a week or so, just kept stalling out constantly.....and all of a sudden, the truck stalled on me one night and after about 3 hours or so, i finally looked and seen the spark plug wires going into the distrbutor were loose, so i pushed them down and bingo, the truck started right up and sure enough got it home and now it wont start, the truck will turn over just fine, but just gets no spark, now so far i started with the cap and rotor cause i had a problem with them before and they looked fairly crappy.... didnt work, so then i did spark plugs and wires and no luck with that although i got to tell you i am surprised that the truck started with them plugs as bad as they were ya know. So after that we checked and sure enough there was no spark so my step father and I checked the coil, the pick up coil and the ignition module itself, the timing chain is intact and the timing is right on the money, so im guessing that either its the distributor itself or maybe the ignition switch? If anyone can shed some more light on this situtation i would be so grateful. I also checked most wires and can not see any damaged or any other crappy wires that would kill a connection. All fuses and relays look good. So if anyone can help, please do........ I start my new job tomorrow night....so HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! =-)

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM
cooolchick647 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HELP!! Truck wont start, no spark...

Also thought to mention that probably about a year or two ago, the truck had a similar problem where the cap and rotor had finally gone bad and had to be replaced. Now that was easy enough and of course i changed it this time also, with not such great results but i noticed that even though the cap and rotor are identical to the parts that were removed that the rotor and the cap points actually do not touch but probably have about a quarter inch gap and i was wondering if this might be a little too much of an airspace gap for it? Well my stepfather more or less is wondering, i mean if they are the same exact parts and the old one has worked for the past year or two and the cap and rotor before that where the same exact then i dont really see how this would affect anything now, but the main problem is is that there is still no spark and after reading a previous post we just checked to see if there was power to the ignition switch and there seems to be enough powergoing to there so i am assuming that it might just be the distributor after all.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HELP!! Truck wont start, no spark...

How did you test the module? It sounds an awful lot like a mod problem....&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;I know it’s been a few days, did ya get this fixed yet?&lt\\;br&gt\\;