1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Idle Air Control valve issues.....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member
ejxjohnson is on a distinguished road
Default Idle Air Control valve issues.....maybe

Ok so the past weekend i got a new nut kit and fpr and installed them. cleaned the plenum a little and also cleaned egr and put a new screen gasket on it. did a fuel pressure test and found no leaks and fuel pressure stays at 55ish and dosnt drop off for a long time. Great so i put the plenum back on and reconnect all the plugs and vaccum lines and such and go to start it up and it idles really really rough and acually dies on me some of the time. I also hear a sucking sound when the engine idles low and feels like its about to die so i go under the hood to see where its comming from and its in the throttle body. i turn off the truck and unplug the idle air control valve and start it back up and runs pretty good does not hesitate or die or anything.

my question is how do i test the idle air control vavle to see if it is just that or possible the wiring going to it?

i also get a check engine light code 22 and 34. 22 is tps sensor under .2 volts so i check the voltage and its good and replace the tps sensor. i dont know what code 34 is tho.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

You have already tested it, if you unplug the idle speed solenoid and it stays running you have a bad idle speed solenoid. When you unplug a idle speed motor the RPM will drop and not run very well but it should stay running if you plug it back in and it stalls replace the idle speed solenoid.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Beginning Member

The weird thing is when I unplug it and start it up the rpms start low and seem like it's constantly climbing.... Does anyone know what code 34 is and how to reset the check engine light codes?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I didn't notice what you're working with but in my 94 Service Manual it says a code 34 is Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Low (Signal Voltage Low - High Vacuum). To reset the malfunction light turn ignition switch off and remove fuse #9 (ECM B) for 10 seconds.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Beginning Member

i own a 93 s10 4dr blazer, vin w. So funny story.....i forgot to mention that when i first tried to start the truck i guess the negative terminal wasn't screwed in all the way and it basically cranked and was about to start then just died.....no battery power at all. i got out and found that the ground wire was not plugged into the battery terminal. i guess thats why the check engine light came on for those 2 things. i was able to reset the check engine light and codes dont come back at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 AM
Beginning Member

So I replaced the idle air control valve and my truck idles lot better but it still shakes and when I give it gas at a stop it stutters kinda like it's misfiring a little. I let it set in the driveway and reved it up a bit and there is a balck spot where the exaust comes out so that tells me it's running rich. I checked te fuel pressure again and it was steady at normal pressure and I turned off the engine bled the fuel pressure and took of the plenum again to see if there were any leaks and there were not. Checked all the wires and made shure they were secure on the cap and at all the plugs. O yah when I check the oil there seems to be a little gas in there. I did have to take off the lower intake manifold to get the torx bolt that hold the nut kit in place because it was stripped. I clear the lower intkake manifold good put some rtv and a new gasket on there befor putting the upper intake manifold back on. Could I have messed and have a leak in the lower intake manifold?