1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Loss of engine power

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Bogging at anything past 1/2 pedal is screaming plugged fuel filter to me.

What I would do first is find a section of fuel line as far back as you can (closer to the tank) that's in decent rust-free shape, cut the line & double-clamp a length of 30R7 (minimum) rated fuel hose to the end & run it straight up to the next decent, rust-free section. In between that, splice in a fuel filter with straight ends so you can clamp that on as well. Zip tie GENTLY to keep the line from falling all over the place. JUst leave the old rusted line & filter there & zip tie to that.

Nice & easy, not very expensive , & I bet your bog will be gone. That is, unless enough crap got into the tank to plug the pump sock up ....

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road

What do I use to cut the fuel line? And how should I go about keeping too much gas from dumping all over? I imagine some is unavoidable

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Yeah it's gonna go everywhere - not much you can do there.

I use a tubing cutter. You don't want to use a sawzall or anything like that due to the fire potential. Just unbolt the line from the frame so you can have the space to spin it around the line. I've had to do this to every Blazer I've owned, including a new gas tank. Salt kills the stuff up here.

Do it outside too. Not a good idea having fumes hanging around in a garage - too many bad things can happen. They always sink low ... usually where the heater is this time of year ...

Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Yeah it's gonna go everywhere - not much you can do there.

I use a tubing cutter. You don't want to use a sawzall or anything like that due to the fire potential. Just unbolt the line from the frame so you can have the space to spin it around the line. I've had to do this to every Blazer I've owned, including a new gas tank. Salt kills the stuff up here.

Do it outside too. Not a good idea having fumes hanging around in a garage - too many bad things can happen. They always sink low ... usually where the heater is this time of year ...
Yeah thats exactly how I went about it...got the lines cut at the moment and im just letting it air out a bit...felt like i was gonna suffocate under there (it is outside so no worries)

Gas hurts on over picked finger nails

Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Starting Member

Sorry to bump but....

HOLY F**KING S**T!

SHE LIVES AGAIN.

Runs better then the day I got her...I still have to give the gas pedal a pump or two to start it...any ideas?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

Low fuel pressure?

-OSS

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Old Skool Soldier
Low fuel pressure?

-OSS
Well I can now whomp on it with no problem...my only real issue now is I smell oil burning like crazy but don't see any blue smoke. Shes still a bit rough starting as i think I mentioned before...have to pump the pedal a few times

Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Glad to hear it!

Usually hard starting is due to weak/worn ignition. Try some new plugs at the very least. I'd do those, the wires, cap, rotor, & toss a new air filter in for good measure. Sounds like your close now.

The oil smell is probably crap burning off the manifolds that didn't get hot enough before due to the lack of fuel.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Glad to hear it!

Usually hard starting is due to weak/worn ignition. Try some new plugs at the very least. I'd do those, the wires, cap, rotor, & toss a new air filter in for good measure. Sounds like your close now.

The oil smell is probably crap burning off the manifolds that didn't get hot enough before due to the lack of fuel.
I almost wonder if you're right about that because even though it smells of oil I don't seem to be losing any any faster then before (it is dripping from somewhere). I got the cap off of one of the the plugs and it looked almost brand new but I'll pull them soon. My supervisor said the piston rings might be fried when I mentioned shes burning oil.

Last edited by InsanePyro; 02-05-2012 at 01:51 AM.