1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds like an ignition related problem. Let us know how the mist test goes. It can be rather 'enlightening'!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point

So I did the mist test and it seems to be just 1 wire sparking really badly could that be causing the problem ? also is it possible to just replace that one wire ? it is the one located right in the middle of the cap that goes to I think the rotor it is a really short wire. So I am going to see if my local auto parts store has a wire to replace it with if so I am going to replace it and retry the test and hopefully it will be fixed.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

If the TBI is similar to the CPI, the plug leading to the middle of your cap should be coming from the coil. This would certainly cause your problem. I'm not 100% sure about the TBI motors, so hopefully someone else has some info for you. But I would certainly replace that wire and make sure you get rid of the leaking spark before you continue.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is the reason why I replace all plug wires when doing service. If one wire went bad, the others probably aren't too long for this world.

If the coil wire is the one sparking (sounds like it), then yes, this can definitely cause running problems. Sooner or later, it would develop into an all around problem, not just when it is wet outside.

Replace the wire & try the mist test again. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by swartlkk
This is the reason why I replace all plug wires when doing service. If one wire went bad, the others probably aren't too long for this world.

If the coil wire is the one sparking (sounds like it), then yes, this can definitely cause running problems. Sooner or later, it would develop into an all around problem, not just when it is wet outside.

Replace the wire & try the mist test again. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Thank you for the help everybody I am going to get the wire tomorrow hopefully should only take me a minute to actually install it I will keep you all posted .... thinking about starting a build thread .... maybe

UPDATE : Got the new wire today picked it up for $3.25 got it installed and it seems to be running better won't be able to really tell until I can go into town again ( so I can go up and down hills ) but I am also going to do the mist test later tonight I will keep everyone updated.

UPDATE 12/29/2011 : So I got to go to town today and I am still having major issues it seems to be stalling out even more then it did before and not getting close to as much power I did the mist test yesterday and am also seeing more sparks then I saw before and while I was at a stop light I saw smoke coming from under the hood sooooooo I am going to be replacing the distributor cap, coil, and rotor and going from there I am anticipating this to be about $60 in parts if not more and quite a bit of my time ... also going to be starting a build thread here within the next couple of days

Last edited by 89Recon; 12-29-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added update / added another update