1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need info please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
BradZ01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need info please

First of all, thanks for fixing the pics. Also, thanks for the comments on the Blazer. I really like it because it is different than all the others you see everyday. It is a fantastic truck for daily driving here in Indiana with snowy/salty winter roads, and it helps my Z28 to sit in the garage under a car cover. The Blazer is in great shape. It is rusty as heck underneath, but the exterior is showing very little signs of its age, which is a bit surprising due to it spending all its days in Minnesota, Iowa, and New Jersey. Winters there are way worse than we have here.

I hope to work on it again this weekend. I have not touched it in 2 weeks. I am lucky to have a friend who is patient and does not mind in taking up space in his driveway. I will post next time I work on it and let you guys know how it is going. Thanks for all the advise!!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 PM

UPDATE......This morning I picked up a new spider injector. Also got the exhaust parts I needed to patch the line where I cut off the converter. So after fixing the exhaust, I installed the new spider and put it all back together. I did not do anything with the EGR because I forgot to buy a new gasket, and didnt want to tear up the old one pulling it out. Started it up and it ran fine for about 30 seconds. Then started poofing white smoke out of the tailpipe again, and smelling like gas. Ran it up and down the driveway a few times, but it has no power. It seemed like it was missing out again. I shut it off, and went I went to restart it a few minutes later, it seemed to be locked up again like it was originally when my FPR came loose and filled the cylinders with gas!!! Pushed it back into the garage, and that is when I gave up for the day. I am so frustrated with it. I am going to pickup an EGR gasket and try claening it next time I take the plenum back apart to see what is going on in there. Oh, and I also broke one of the fuel lines that go into the spider, but I got a replacement. I think maybe I didnt get something in right, or maybe a line popped out, or possibly the new fuel line I used blew off?? But needless to say I am still at the same impass that I have been at since the start of my problem, except now I am over $300 in the hole with the same problems!!! UGH!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Ok, I think I might be on the road to repair finally.......I took it apart again last night. It appears that the fuel line that i replaced inside the plenum was not making a good seal. I put a clamp on it at the end where it comes into the plenum, but then it started blowing fuel from the end where it fits onto the spider. I am now on the hunt for the original OEM tubing/hose. Obviously the fuel line Autozone has is not going to work for me. I checked one Chevy dealer who said it was discontinued and they could get it but I would need to buy the entire roll. I would like to go ahead and replace them both, but still i only need about 12-14 inches for both, and not an entire roll!! Any ideas on this, or has anybody else had any luck replacing these lines?? It is the 2 lines that come in the back right corner of the plenum, and have 1 bend in them and attach to the spider injector. Thanks.....

(edit) After a little searching, it seems that these lines may also be refered to as the Nut Kit???

Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup and they should be available at your local dealership or online at several retailers. Lindertech.com is one of the retailers that many S-series owners have used before.

*EDIT* here are some numbers on the nut kit for ya:
ACDelco Part # 17112705
DORMAN Part # 55163
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # HK11

Old 09-29-2007, 03:37 PM

I got my nut kit and that was definitly my problem since the spider install. I checked the dealer and Autozone and it was $89 at each place. I found it for $55 at a local A/C Delco supplier, but surprisingly found it in stock at Napa for $45, so I got it. Installed that and put it back together and it was running, but still not great. realized that I was going to need to change the oil because it had alot of gas in it. Last night I changed the oil and put 6 new plugs in it, and it definitly has its power back!!! I will say that I dont feel like it is completely fixed, but I do feel like it is driveable now. I put about 3 or 4 miles on it last night, and let it idle for about 30 or 40 minutes to try and clean up any gas or anything left in it.

Here is my only remaining issue....It has power, and is running okay, but still has a hesitation when you are giving it gas. If you step on it hard, or just try and speed up from 40 to 50 mph, it sputters and hesitates until you get back to constant, steady speed. I am getting no SES light. I have replaced the spider injector, the nut kit, cleaned the EGR, new plugs, cap, rotor, oil, filter, and removed the cat converter. Any thoughts on what might be making it miss out?? Oh, and it is also still smoking alot, which it never did for more than a few seconds after startup before all the problems started. Thanks again to everybody for your thoughts and advise. It has helped me a ton!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:41 PM

So I picked up the Blazer at my friends house on Sunday and drove it home approx 15 miles. It ran really rough all the way home. I drove interstate most of the way, and it was not only sputtering and hesitating, but seemed to be the worst while trying to stay at a constant speed. Foe example, as I tried to stay at 55 mph, it would spit and sputter and the harder I pushed the gas, the worse it seemed to be, and I wasnt holding or even maintaining 55, but slowing down just a little bit until I put the pedal to the floor, and sped up to 70 and tried to hold that until I would get back down to 50/55 and then do it again. The only time it seems to run like it is supposed to is when I have my foot on the floor?!?!

Would the excess of gas have messed up any other sensors or anything that would cause these issues? I am considering taking it to Chevy and getting a diagnostic done, that way I know what exactly it is I need to fix, but I hate to spend the extra money on that. I feel better now that I have it at home rather than taking up space in my friends garage or driveway, but I still dont feel like I can drive it and feel confident in it to get me from point A to point B. This sucks as winter is approaching.....Any ideas??

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

if it spits and sputters at variable speeds it could be your fuel pump is starting to go out i have a 94 with the cpi to they are way better than a tbi and you will love it when you get it going i would try your fuel pump it if you replaced your injectors and everything else already or maybe your fuel filter
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-06-2007, 09:28 PM

The fuel filter is only a few months old. I had not thought about the pump. I hope to spend a little time on it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, I will put it on my list of things to test!!