1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Oil Filter leak - is there a separate gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Dog
Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Filter leak - is there a separate gasket?

I just did an oil change and was hoping to resolve an oil leak that appeared to be caused by the oil filter not being screwed on correctly. It now continues to leak, from what appears to be from the base of the new oil filter.

Question is: is there a gasket or O-ring on the block that the oil filter contacts that could be bad? I didn't bother to look when I did the oil change, and would rather not go back in unless that could definitely be the problem. If not a gasket, any other ideas? It's not the valve covers, and it certailnly appears to be isolated around the filter. Thanks in advance...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Oil Filter leak - is there a separate gasket?

What it sounds like is that the old gasket from the old filter stuck to the block and you put the new one on over it creating the leaky situation you have!! What your going to have to do is remove the filter over a bucket or something to catch the oil and check the block and filter for an extra gasket if there isn't a extra gasket present inspect the top of the filter for bends in the gasket ring seat and see were it could be coming out at!!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As Ryan said, if the old gasket stuck to the block, it is quite possibly the cause of your troubles.

If you cross threaded the filter fitting in the block, this is removable and thereby replaceable. I am not sure where you would go to get one other than the junk yard, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like this at your local autoparts stores and/or dealer.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
BF Veteran

Kyle the part your talking about that screws into the block that the filter attatches too can be purchased at autozone, my buddies old s-10 had that issue and thats were we got a replacement from!!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good deal!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Dog
Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool - thanks for the quick responses guys! I'll check it out soon and report back...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM
BF Veteran

Not a problem, let us know what you find out!!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I also recommend applying a thin layer of oil to the oil filter gasket before installing it.