1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Plugs & Coil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011 | 08:21 PM
|
JerryB52 is on a distinguished road
Default Plugs & Coil replacement

Going to try a new coil and plugs tomorrow to see if this will help the starting problem.

How difficult is the coil? Do I have to drill out the rivets holding the old coil?
Any difficult plugs?
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Plugs & Coil replacement-94chevyblazer002.jpg  
Old 05-26-2011 | 08:49 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

The coil is riveted but it's not difficult. Those rivets are generally soft.

Old 05-26-2011 | 09:33 PM
|

That's what I thought, so I brought home a center-punch from work to drill out the rivets.
The car turns over, but won't start.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...anks-ok-45942/
I hope this solves the problem. This is my only vehicle. because of my work situation, at this time, I don't have a lot of money to throw at my Blazer.

Old 05-26-2011 | 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Pull the coil plug wire off and have someone crank it over,if the coils arching it should be good.

Oh and plugs...

#3 cylinder,driveside center behind the steering shaft..You will fight it forever,but if you go through the wheel well with some extensions and socket knuckle you can get it out with ease.

Also when you get the plugs ive seen that copper ngk v-powers work the best,next to copper ac delco of course. but thats my personal opinion. ive dealt with alot of em!

Last edited by chris015; 05-26-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 12:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Forget throwing parts at it if you are short on funds and dont know what the problem is - DIAGNOSIS or you will nickle and dime yourself into hating the truck. A bad plug can make it run bad, but the chances of you having 6 bad plugs? You will win the lottery twice before that happens. Pop off the coil wire (goes to center of distributor) and prop it up next to somehwere metal (or get an idiot friend to hold it in their hand LOL). Crank it over, you can hear it snapping if it works (or if they scream like a little girl), and see the sparks in the dark, then dont replace it cause the coil is working fine. What you really wanna do is test the fuel pressure. If you were gonna dump 50 bucks on parts - buy a fuel injection pressure tester instead for 35 and a case of beers. You can always sell it on ebay if you decide you dont want to keep it. Also ask any neighbors that are messing on cars alot - they will have one you could borrow to use, I would let anyone who asked me use mine.

Is you oil overfull too?

Man I should really just have a copy and paste thing for the leaking CPI units... IMO its the worst problem these trucks have.

Last edited by ohsofly; 05-27-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 04:19 AM
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Forget throwing parts at it if you are short on funds and dont know what the problem is - DIAGNOSIS or you will nickle and dime yourself into hating the truck.

Is you oil overfull too?

Man I should really just have a copy and paste thing for the leaking CPI units... IMO its the worst problem these trucks have.
Very good advice my friend. Thank you.

Old 05-27-2011 | 10:44 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Forget throwing parts at it if you are short on funds and dont know what the problem is - DIAGNOSIS or you will nickle and dime yourself into hating the truck. A bad plug can make it run bad, but the chances of you having 6 bad plugs? You will win the lottery twice before that happens. Pop off the coil wire (goes to center of distributor) and prop it up next to somehwere metal (or get an idiot friend to hold it in their hand LOL). Crank it over, you can hear it snapping if it works (or if they scream like a little girl), and see the sparks in the dark, then dont replace it cause the coil is working fine. What you really wanna do is test the fuel pressure. If you were gonna dump 50 bucks on parts - buy a fuel injection pressure tester instead for 35 and a case of beers. You can always sell it on ebay if you decide you dont want to keep it. Also ask any neighbors that are messing on cars alot - they will have one you could borrow to use, I would let anyone who asked me use mine.

Is you oil overfull too?

EFF YOU MAN! LOL I got to be that idiot when i was 18. My dads a ******* lol

Old 05-27-2011 | 12:11 PM
|

New coil is in and it still won't start !!!!

I've checked all the sensor wires and none are damaged and look to be intact.

I pulled the Vortec logo off and took out the sensor that sits on top of the intake. (I read somewhere to do this) I have it off but don't know what I'm looking for ??? (I can't seem to find the post that I read )

What now?
Next step is to order a fuel injector pressure tester. (Wal-Mart $35)
Forget the beer... I had to give it up...

Last edited by JerryB52; 05-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 01:14 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Look in the hole with a flashlight and a mirror if you need - see if there are clean, gold-colored areas on either side of the center.

Tell us what you see.

Old 05-27-2011 | 01:44 PM
|

From looking the best I can, it's very dirty looking in there.
On the passengers side I see something round on one end with a little gold color visible.
On the drivers side I see a little gold color also.
Very dirty inside.

Last edited by JerryB52; 05-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Plugs & Coil replacement