1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rear Defog Broken

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Defog Broken

so my rear window defogger no longer works. I know why, I replaced the lift shocks, but in the process the wires that have the clips on them, that clip on the shocks broke off both the window and the truck side. I tried re-soldering them, but the solder doesnt seem to stick to the wires. Was a special type of solder used originally? I can post pictures this weekend.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

The piece on the end of the strut can be unscrewed off of the strut and you can attach an electrical eyelet connector. Then just crimp a piece of wire on it and crimp either a male or female (not sure which) connector on to that wire to plug into. Screw the piece back onto the strut and you should be good to go...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM

The strut ends are fine, its the other ends, the plug and wire that connects to the truck and window.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you need to purchase a "rear window defogger repair kit" from your local parts supplier, or any auto parts store.

if your location was in your info, i could point you in the right direction.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is what you are describing but I had the male part that is soldered to the window come off on mine. I scuffed it up a bit, used a soldering gun and and solder and stuck it back on. It didn't want to stick to well, but I got it done. It is working fine again.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:07 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
Not sure if this is what you are describing but I had the male part that is soldered to the window come off on mine. I scuffed it up a bit, used a soldering gun and and solder and stuck it back on. It didn't want to stick to well, but I got it done. It is working fine again.
i'm surprised the heat didn't "pop" the window, it is tempered.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I was worried about that too, so after I was sure my insurance was paid up, I gave it a try. I didn't do a proper soldering job, just enough to get it to stick. I got the tab hot, melted a little solder on it, warmed the solder on the window a bit and then back to the tab. I then stuck it on while all was molted and held it there. I didn't think it was gonna stick, but it did. I carefully plugged it back in and it works. I just needed enough stick to make contact. It probably wont last a real long time, but if I get a couple years out of it, I will be happy.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i'm surprised the heat didn't "pop" the window, it is tempered.
That's my concern too. Are there any shops that could do this for me? Can a dealer? Any thoughts?... oh and I'm located in the US, Pennsylvania specifically

Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
BF Guru

i've had success with those kits that you buy @ any parts store. i actually have to do my '98 sometime this week.

just follow the directions on the package, you shouldn't have any issues.

and when i mentioned about not knowing your location, it was a polite way of telling you to put the info in for your location (done in your "User CP"). we're not looking for an address, just your city/town & state. makes it easier if another member is around you to offer assistance, or info on a deal nearby.

let us know how you make out with the repair.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
tomwht is on a distinguished road

I repaired my rear defroster (93 S10 Blazer) by ordering a kit from frostfighter.com. They sell a conductive epoxy which works well--but it needs to be applied in a warm setting.