1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

rear window squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear window squeak

does anyone know why and how to stop the rear window from squeaking, it looks like the window slides sideways when i go over any bumps but squeaks all day long and is getting on my nerves. ive glued a piece of rubber to the bottom to make a tighter fit and ive tightened the bolts on top. yet squeak squeak everywhere i go. pls help

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rear window squeak

what you need is some sort of clear drying silicone lubricant----put some on ALL of your seals on your truck and they wont squeak until it wears off in a few months---then repeat. [8D]

oh and try not to get any on your paint---might not react well depending on what you use

Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point

On my 99 blazer I had the same problem, to stop the squeak I wrapped fiberglass tape around the bar that goes into the catch (2 wraps) it has held for a month so far.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The rear window latch can be adjusted, but it involves the removal of the interior trim. Then there are 2 nuts that need to be loosened to adjust. I did a little how-to a long time ago, but it never made it into the DIY section.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:01 AM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

for a quick and easy fix all i did was wrap some electrical tape around the bar that goes in the latch. if you dont open up your backglass a whole lot it will hold for a good while.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:50 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

How about the end gate? Is it adjusted tight? I've heard of the endgate being loose between the latch and the striker, which could also cause a squeak on the window.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple shots of WD 40 in the latch, and wiggle the latch in between squirts, can work for awhile, too. An immediate fix to stop the noise until you can get around to the better fixes.

Anne
White '91 2 dr S-10 Blazer
4X4, 4.3L, automatic
Sunroof, running boards
151,000 miles

Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

sweet!

mine almost makes me cry

wow, this thread is almost 2 years old......

Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I've started simply greasing the catch which is the source of the noise in mine.
Holds as long as electrical tape or other remedy.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:33 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine never used to squeak, but tonight I noticed it's starting to.
I've also noticed that it doesn't open all the way automatically anymore. It goes up halfway and I have to push it the rest of the way up.
I think with all this snow, the rocksalt could've messed it up.

Quick Reply: rear window squeak