1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
iceman1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rough idle

i put in a new cap, rotor, and wires
but my engine has a good idle but is really rough it shakes the whole truck and uses alot of gas i get around 5 mpg and i can smell gas through my firewall when i am driving, and at a high rpm it sounds like there is a rattling in the bottom of my engine. what do i need to do to fix it? its a 1989 s-10 blazer 4*4

*combining consecutive posts*

also while i am driving it act like it has no power(pick up) and i am not hauling nothing. i step on the gas and it goes nowhere, it almost acts like it wants to cut off then when i get to my house from work a 15 min drive a soon as i come to a stop it cuts off by itself. what do i need to do it fix it cause i cannot afford gas at 5mpg.

*EDIT: swartlkk* - combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit function to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rough idle

I had a similar problem. My truck was blowing gas through the exhaust and running really bad. It turned out to be a bad CPI unit. I had to take off the intake manafold and change out the whole unit. I replaced the EGR valve while I was at it as my truck was throwing a code indicating that it was bad as well. It cost about $380 for all the parts. The CPI unit is a common problem. Lindertech.com was a good write up about it. Check it out and see if it sounds like your problem. That's where I bought mine. You can also get it at any auto parts store. Check your tail pipe. If it's wet with raw gas, you may have the same problem.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: iceman1987

i put in a new cap, rotor, and wires
but my engine has a good idle but is really rough it shakes the whole truck and uses alot of gas i get around 5 mpg and i can smell gas through my firewall when i am driving, and at a high rpm it sounds like there is a rattling in the bottom of my engine. what do i need to do to fix it? its a 1989 s-10 blazer 4*4

*combining consecutive posts*

also while i am driving it act like it has no power(pick up) and i am not hauling nothing. i step on the gas and it goes nowhere, it almost acts like it wants to cut off then when i get to my house from work a 15 min drive a soon as i come to a stop it cuts off by itself. what do i need to do it fix it cause i cannot afford gas at 5mpg.

*EDIT: swartlkk* - combined consecutive posts. Please use the edit function to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Did it do this immediately after you changed cap rotor and wires, if so then check your wire routing...if you mixed up the wires it will run rough and have no power...

Old 01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
iceman1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

i changed the cap and rotor at my friends house and drove it home and it was fine when i got to my house i changed the plugs and i think i put the wrong plugs(it started right away ideling rough) so i put the old ones back in and it didnt help anything.so it started doing that right away after changing the plugs.well the next day my father-in-law had the day off so he put the right plugs in and bought new wires and a couple of boxes of vacuum hoses(havnt used them yet) but after he worked on it it still having the problem