1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Screwed up

Well i really screwed myself over, thinking how hard could drum brakes be to fix. welp, alot harder than i thought. I removed the drum and didn't know that i wasn't suppose to apply the brakes with the drum off and i blew the cylinder pistons. So, needed a new cylinder $12 and took me 5 hrs to put it all back together (keep in mind i have never even worked on brakes or even changed my engine oil). So the next day i bring it to my mechanic to get it bled, and again i didn't know i had to replace both cylinders at the same time. So i waited for 4hrs and they bled the system and put a new cylinder in the other wheel, that was $97. So i go to take my sister to work and i get out and theres brake fluid all over the wheel and leafsprings. So i had to bring it back and turned out when i put the new cylinder in i didn't put the clip in tight enough, the cylinder over extended and the piston poped out, cause i used a screw driver and plyers, even though the guy at auto-barn said thats all i needed. So, its gona be another $100 most likely and now i don't have my blazer

And people always question why i only wax and wash and clean my car all the time, cause when i fu*k with sh*t it usually breaks, and its hard to do that while cleaning or waxing. So now i have learned "don't fix what ain't broke" rawr grr! At least now i know how to take it apart.
Thanks for reading my story.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Screwed up

Don't feel bad. Anybody who hasn't had an experience like this has:
1. Not worked on enough mechanical devices.
2. Been very lucky.
3. Only used professional services.

The good part is the knowledge you picked up.
Although it cost extra. [:@]

Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Screwed up

You're lucky that you were able to change the cylinder without the brake lines being frozen. I had to get a second set of hands to help me get the clip on the cylinder for my blazer. It sure was tight and I doubt it's coming loose.