1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Weird Electrical Problem (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
scubaaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird Electrical Problem (i think)

First, I am new to this forum, I bought a 93 S-10 Blazer Tahoe a few weeks ago as a second car so I can go offroad and camping, that sort of thing. I have been lurking around this forum absorbing some useful info, but now I have a problem.

Tonight I was driving in the forest and I was going up a hill on a dirt road and suddenly I heard a steady, constant tone and the speedometer died and the battery indicator died. It is the same tone that you hear when you don't turn your lights off and open the door. It was the middle of the night so I turned around and headed back toward civilization...I made it but I got a flat on the way too. So I had to stop to change that. The tone continued all the way home and I can still hear it in my head. I tried turning it off and restarting it and turning off the radio, heater, fan all of that but the tone continued.

The blazer runs fine, maybe a little loss of power but maybe thats my imagination. The tone only shuts off when the headlights are turned off, but the speedo and battery indicator still do not work. I think it might be an alternator/battery problem or a short but I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? I don't want to dump money into this thing at a mechanic if its something I can do myself. I think it might be easy to fix but maybe its the root of a bigger problem. Any ideas?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Weird Electrical Problem (i think)

Maybe take a spin down to your local Autozone or Advanced Auto and have them do an electrical system diagnosis. They should be able to test the alternator and battery right on the truck.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Maybe check the fuses... If you hit a big enough puddle, might've splashed some water some place it wasn't supposed to go...

Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
99blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with drperry if you hit any puddles hard enough and something possibly got wet that could be the problem. I hit a mud puddle doing about 30 mph and 2 hrs later my multi function control switch quit working.