2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical Questions -- Needs answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM
2000BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Questions -- Needs answers

Hi Guys

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LS 4 door model that has been doing some weird things here lately and i'm hoping to get some answers for solving them

1) - Voltage guage needle moves when Turn Signals are turned on .. it moves back n forth as each time the turn signal clicks

2) - When driving at highway speeds (55 mph plus) then starting to slow down like to get off an exit ramp I will get a Chiming noise from somewhere under the dash ... it continues to chime until I get to 35mph and then it stops

So does anyone here know what I need to do to fix these 2 little annoying issues????

Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

If you leave your turn signal on to long it will chime at you so that you don't keep driving with it on. Not sure about the v-gauge.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The volt gage might be related to the way the voltage regulator is excited. The PCM monitors charging voltage and controls the voltage regulator using a PWM, (Pulse Width Modulation) signal rather than the regulator directly sensing battery voltage. In low engine RPM and high current draw situations, you might notice the dash lights flicker slightly. This is a dead give away symptom of the PWM causing the problem. There is a GM TSB that addresses the condition and instructs to add a circuit to the voltage regulator connector at the alternator. This thread does a pretty good job eplaining how to do it: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ference-60425/

Can't say for sure, but the chime might be related as well, or possibly a poor ground somewhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

my work truck does the same thing as far as the voltage gauge goes. the funny thing is, if you put your 4 ways on, the voltage gauge probably wont move. mine doesnt, its weird. either turn signal and the gauge drops like you describe, put the 4 ways on, and no drop at all. lol.
the chime is from leaving your blinker on too long. it doesnt do it at low speeds so that way if you get stuck at a light you dont have to hear it. just like Spree said.

so to answer your question on how to get rid of them:
dont leave your blinker on so long.
maybe change the alternator....but it will probably still do it. just the way it is, at least with mine.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The volt gage might be related to the way the voltage regulator is excited. The PCM monitors charging voltage and controls the voltage regulator using a PWM, (Pulse Width Modulation) signal rather than the regulator directly sensing battery voltage. In low engine RPM and high current draw situations, you might notice the dash lights flicker slightly. This is a dead give away symptom of the PWM causing the problem. There is a GM TSB that addresses the condition and instructs to add a circuit to the voltage regulator connector at the alternator. This thread does a pretty good job eplaining how to do it: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ference-60425/

Can't say for sure, but the chime might be related as well, or possibly a poor ground somewhere.
would this modification also apply if your volts drop with the a/c on?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
would this modification also apply if your volts drop with the a/c on?
Your signature indicates that you have a 1995: It will not work on your 1995. Your voltage regulator already senses battery voltage.