2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
nslide10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default front end noise

My POS 96 s-10 w/4wheel drive started makin this whinin noise the other day it sounds almost like new knobby tires hittin the pavement at high speed but this slack jawed yokel said it sounded like bearings in front tire. it didnt to me but i replaced front right bearing an it still makes noise it even sounds a lil louder now. it only does it when im slowing down an get to bout 25mph an lower it wont do it when im givin it gas and it completely stops when i turn on the 4-wheel drive. also it cant be heard from outside the truck it can only be haeard inside while drivin an slowin down. any help sure would help im gettin frustrated an dont have much cash to spend an i already wasted 120 on the bearings i have to get it fixed next try so please halp and be accurate. thank you

Old 05-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: front end noise

Wow... What an opening! Do you always take advice without verifying the problem yourself?? As with any advice given here, we can only give you an idea of where to look and what to look for. It is up to you to clearly explain the symptoms, do the work, and verify that such parts need replacement. If you are uncomfortable with that, then I would suggest taking your truck to a mechanic. Most places will even give free, no obligation estimates. You can have them diagnose the problem, drive away afterwords and fix it yourself.

What have you checked and how where they checked? You've stated that you replaced a wheel bearing, but haven't really stated any symptoms of a bad wheel bearing... What you have stated leaves a lot of grey areas... Does the noise change when turning left or right?

There are a lot of components in the front end of a 4wd... Working from the wheel out, you've got the brakes, wheel bearing, CV shafts, the front differential, and the front driveshaft. We need some help to try to narrow it down for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 PM

las time i got advice here it wsa RIGHT I TRUST U GUYS MORE THAN ANY1 ELSE WITHOUT HAVIN TO GO TO A MECHANIC. I KNOW ITS NOT THE BRAKES. THE NOISE ISNT SOMETHING THAT BRAKES SOUND LIKE AND I KNOW IT DIDNT SOUND LIKE BEARING AN HUB BUT THE GUY I TALKED TO SAID HE JUST REPLACED BEARINGS ON A FRIENDS TRUCK AN IT SOUNDED SAME BUT I STILL DONT BELIEVE HIM IVE REPLACED BEARINGS ON VEHICLES I KNOW WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE WHEN WORN. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS. IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE A GEAR BEING FORCED TO MOVE LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE IN NEUTRAL. LIKE I SAID IT GO'S AWAY WHEN I TURN ON 4-WHEEL DRIVE. AND I CAN ONLY HEAR IT WHEN SLOWING DOWN LIKE UNDER 25MPH. ALMOST AS IF WHEN THERES TORQUE BEING APPLIED IT DOESNT DO IT BUT WHEN SPINNING FREE AS IN SLOWING WITH NO TORQUE U CAN HEAR THE GEARS MOVING. NOTHING FELT LOOSE OR MOVED FREELY WHEN I CHANGED BEARING AN HUB EVERYTHING FELT SOLID WITH NO SLOP IN IT. THE ONLY THING IS I THINK THE BALL JOINT IS BAD BUT I KNOW THE SOUND ISNT COMING FROM THERE.ITS HARD TO EXPLAIN ITS ALMOST LIKE DOWNSHIFTIN A SMALL CAR AN ITS THE SOUND THE TRANNY MAKES JUS NOT SO FAST I KNOW ITS MOVIN WITH THE TIRE . AGAIN ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AND IF THERES ANY MORE DETAILS I CAN GIVE JUST LET ME KNOW. THANK U

Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the 4x4 actuator is not disengaging the front differential completely or the slide acutation is not working properly inside the front differential...check for operation of the vacuum actuator under the battery tray get a vacuum gauge and check it. If there is no vacuum then you will have to trace down the vacuum lines for leaks or check the vacuum switch on the transfer case...I have read a thread possibly on another site that sometimes the slide acuator inside the front differential fails causing a noise similar to what you describe...also it check the cable from the differential to the actuator under the battery tray, these frequently become rusted and stop working properly...

Old 05-17-2007, 03:40 PM

i checked vacuum lines and indeed there was a bad leak in a line right up by the ball so i replaced a few bad lines but the problem is still there. and when i was at a friends he has a step driveway and when i was backing out i turned the wheel and heard a loud grinding clunking noise that wasnt there b4 and it only did/does it in that position. i know the ball joints are bad definatly but i never heard that b4 till this new noise came about andit still goes away in 4-wheel drive. i am puzzled and thinking bout replacing everything i can. so far it includes both ball joints and the control arm that autoiaone cant order and doesnt carry ,is there anythin else up there that i can change out to help me fix this problem. your input is appreciated and remember i dont have much money but ball joints are only $15-30 that aint bad. please help thank you

Old 05-23-2007, 12:38 PM

still havent found prob and now i can hear somethin else in there startin to rattle a lil and its metal but again it goes away with the 4-wheel drive on still no clue as to what it is?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:28 PM

still no help from any1 here and its been bout 3wk and problem is still there. should i replace half shaft with cv joints and ball joints ? its all i can think of doin to fix problem am i right in my thinkin? please help some1

Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

The metal grinding sound could be CV joint in a half shaft but the symptoms you explained earlier indicate that the actuator inside the front differential is not completely disengaging the pass side axle to get out of 4x4 hi all the way....

I would first replace ball joints since if they have excess movement that will could be what is causing the metallic noise since they are worn, they help to keep the front steering knuckle in alignment with the frame and rest of the steering components...if they move to much then the knuckle moves to much moving the half shaft in either direction. Causing a misalignment in the front differential that could be the symptoms you have....

Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

its starting to sound like its binding up in reverse like it does when u turn and 4-wheel drive is on. i will repplce ball joint but a mechanic friend said its easier to change half shaft and cv loints when changing ball joint cuz they allow u to swing front hub assembly and brakes away from spindle and half shaft while connected and i would hatew to replce one thing an have to tare it all apart again if i dont get it the 1st time