2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Looking for a good REAR LOCKER!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a good REAR LOCKER!!

I had a couple questions about Rear Lockers... I would like one that's good quality, doesn't have to be the best thing in the world, because I wouldn't use it all the time... BUT would like a good functional one... Anybody know what size I need for a 2000 Blazer LS 2 DR 4wd?

Also - does this change the way the truck drives on the highway? Will it be noticeable? Or does it just kick in when there is slippage in the rear?

Would love to get one installed before the snow comes....

Matt

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Looking for a good REAR LOCKER!!

All depends ont eh "locker" you get.
A limited slip will only engage when one wheel spins faster then the other one.
A locker will always be engaged, however it will allow the tires to turn at different speed, like when turning. It will never let either tire go slower then the engine/driveshaft/gears.
Then you have a spool, it permenantly locks both tires together, no matter what they are turning the same speed, turns, one completely off the ground it don't matter they are both locked together.

there are some handling quirks with "lockers", each is a little different then the other. Limited slip being the least noticeable on the road, and the least effective off-road.
Lockers being more noticeable on teh road and better off-road.
Spools being the most noticeable (worst) on the road and best off road.
Then there are lockers that you can turn on/off with the flip of a switch or pull of a cable. completely loked when engaged, and completely unlocked when not engaged.

there are all sorts of lockers out there.
trutrack is one, detroit is another, aussies, etc. etc. etc. Is one better then teh other?
Depends on the driver and the application.
Then there are differnent names for various styles of lockers.
Lunchbox lockers, limited slips, lockers, spools, etc. It s a whole world all be itself. Its also the single most important mod you can make to improve traction. It ain't pretty, you cnant see it, you might be able to hear it, and you might be able to feel it, however when your out front or pulling your friends through the hole you just wne tthrough all the time, they will wonder how in the hell your little ol S10-Blazer just kicked thier ***.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Looking for a good REAR LOCKER!!

do you have a recomendation for a "Cable locker"?
2003 ls 4x4

Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Beginning Member
arudlang is on a distinguished road
Default revive!!

I went back and forth on whether to start a new thread or not, I decided not since there are plenty of threads on lockers all ready. I just hope somebody comes back to this little ole one to answer my question =P
Ok so first, after searching and reading I have decided that a powertrax no-slip would be a really great thing for me to have by the time winter gets here in MN. Last year was my first year of ownership of my blazer, I bought it in mid summer and loved up up until the first snow hit...after that it was a miserable winter with traction problems galore and having to be in 4x4 just to get moving from a stoplight. I hated my old ranger pickup, but I will say the ole Ford 9 inch limited slip treated me a lot better than the blazer did. I want to fix this, hence the powertrax no-slip. I got this far in hunting it down:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4&autoview=sku
now I just dont know if I have 26 spline axels or 28...anybody know?
I will really appreciate having some traction this winter. I will be getting new tires too because the ones I got with the truck were pretty new but uber cheap and would not grip at all. I have suspension gripes also but those are for another thread =P
I had one other question, does anybody ever install these powertrax in the front end? Is that even possible with the weird CV stuff they have going on up there? And if you could put a pwertrax in the front end, would it make turning worse than usual?
Thanks guys! Lots of great info here.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i beleive if you have the 7-5/8" ring gear itll be a 28 tooth spline and the 7-1/2" is 26 tooth. lol that all the info i have but juyst hang in there and someone with some knowledge of lockers and such will chime in soon.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:54 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

97 has 28 spline. You don't have to worry about 26 splines until you get to the late eighties Blazers (88 I believe). Can't help you with the front diff though.

7.625 and 7.5 are one in the same as far as parts (gaskets, carriers, etc). When you step up to 8.5 is when you need different parts.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, thanks. Yeah I would think having a powertrax no-slip in the front end wouldn't give you any troubles when in 2 wheel drive, because no power is being applied to the front driveshaft. In 4x4 it would make turning nearly impossible, but you sure would be able to steamroll through stuff in a straight line if all 4 tires were locked up with power. I guess as long as the elctronic transfer case didn't get jammed in 4x4 you could just switch now and then and wouldn't need 4x4 much with the rear locked...but I know mine has a tendency to jam in the cold and for my daily driving uses it probably wouldnt be practical even in winter.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so on summitracing's site I had narrowed the lockers down for my application quite a bit, heres a the link again
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...s=P%5FRank%7C0
(wrong link first time)
so I have eliminated the 26 spline one thanks to you guys, now can anybody tell me whats the difference between the two 28 spline ones? One is $25 more, is it better in some way?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear that the Powertrax 92-0776-2885 lunchbox locker is intended for the factory G80 diff housing. If you have an open case, you want PWT-92-0776-2805.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member

great! mines cheaper =D