Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear Differential: Locker, Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
JODYM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Differential: Locker, Limited Slip

I just purchased a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4x4 ( automatic ) and using it for plowing, only one wheel spins and I'm wondering what differential locker is available to install. Looking for something that is ok to drive down the road on dry pavement and will lock up when plowing snow. I've heard of lockers that ratchet when you make a turn on dry pavement and that is a normal noise but people complain about it but it doesn't bother me, just looking for something that I can get for the rear diff. that I can install easily and don't have to change the backlash and stuff like that if it is even available I'm new to this so any help would be great. My blazer will sit alot over the summer months i just want to be able to push snow a little better and having that other rear turn turning should help alot Please help Thanks Jody

Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear Differential: Locker, Limited Slip

The cheapest and easiest solution would be what is classified as a "lunchbox" locker. One that installs in place of the spider gears. This type of locker locks solid whenever you are on the accelerator and are allowed to unlock when you are not. Turning can get tricky with this type of locker.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Kyle I was hoping you were going to reply to my add just wondering how bad it is turning and also what is the name of these lockers Thanks Jody any feedback would be great what about a limited slip with the clutch packs are they expensive for the blazers?

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Do the lockers break loose on dry pavement making turns? which kind or name brand ( style ) does the ratcheting noise when you turn?

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Kyle when you say lunchbox lockers just wondering which one allows it to unlock whe you decelerate or you ease off the fuel please help need something soon Live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and we are getting lots of snow and I need the blazer to push better and that extra wheel spinning would do the job Thanks anyone else have any suggestions that would be great thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Do the lockers break loose on dry pavement making turns? which kind or name brand ( style ) does the ratcheting noise when you turn?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Kyle when you say lunchbox lockers just wondering which one allows it to unlock whe you decelerate or you ease off the fuel please help need something soon Live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and we are getting lots of snow and I need the blazer to push better and that extra wheel spinning would do the job Thanks anyone else have any suggestions that would be great thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, first off, calm the heck down and WAIT for people to respond. No matter what kind of hurry you are in, you have to remember one thing. No one here is getting any compensation what so ever for offering their help. By being impatient or pushy, you will likely **** those that could help you off, leaving you without the answers you seek, further wasting your time. If you need things NOW and not later, you may want to check with your local mechanic whom will gladly lighten your wallet in an effort to save you time.

Second, a quick google search brings a LOT of information to your computer screen for your browsing pleasure. Taking what I have already stated to you, you can find a TON of information, answering those questions you so hastily asked (while violating the rules of the forum in doing so) more quickly than what others may have been able to respond.

Now that is out of the way, yes, lockers will unlock while turning. Some are less annoying than others and you really need to read up on the subject yourself to decide if one fits your needs. A lunchbox locker will drop into your open differential carrier without removing it. This is by far the easiest and cheapest option and will give you the results you want, but as stated, has some annoyances that come along for the ride.

A posi will be much more expensive than a locker and will require you to set the back lash and tooth pattern on the new diff carrier. If you have never done this and do not know exactly what must be done, do not attempt it. If done incorrectly, you can dump a bunch of time and money down the drain. A posi will exhibit better street manners and will also probably fit your needs.

The only thing that would not allow the wheels to turn at different rates would be a spool and no one with a street driven vehicle should consider a spool.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM

When you say posi do you mean a limited slip with clutch packs?

Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

yes, posi-traction was trademarked by Eaton back in the day and was just a trade name for a limited slip differential.

As far as lunchbox lockers, head on over to summitracing.com, jegs.com, ringpinion.com and put in your vehicle information for a list of available differential components.

You have the 7.625" ring gear with 28 spline axle shafts.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Thats Great info. Thanks alot