2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Mud Flaps and undercarriage wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Mud Flaps and undercarriage wash

Hey guys. Two things:
1. My mechanic cut the mud flaps off behind the front wheels (above the control arms) when he changed out the shocks, leaving the exhaust and the brake lines exposed on both sides. I have had to paint the brake lines to prevent them from rusting further (I used Engine Enamel because it is right next to the exhaust). They also keep getting dirty. They got dirt all over them from just driving 4 miles from the car wash earlier. The lines that are behind the remaining flap are clean! Is there any way of replacing them even though they are on the inside of the wheelwells? Is there a way of replacing them without ripping stuff apart?

2. When I wash my truck, I usually grab an old floor mat, put it on the ground between the front and rear doors and get almost under the truck and wash the undercarriage (including the trans, bottom of the engine, the front end (including the control arms and CV shafts), transfer case, gas tank, differentials, the frame, spare tire, the driveshafts, etc.) with the low pressure setting on the pressure washer. I also use low pressure to wash the wheel wells, brake and fuel lines and the insides of the rotors. Should I be using soap? I usually just use plain water for the undercarriage because I didn't know if it would cause any damage.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Beginning Member
89K5gasahollica is on a distinguished road

the mechanic would be minus a mustache by means the same as my flaps were removed if it were me dude,lol. brakelines are a cakewalk just take the wheel off.steel braided new ones are somewhat inexpensive and look good.if your undercarriage is something you see regularly and its cleanliness is a issue might i suggest apply'n undercoating to it? its available in spray cans round 8 bucks a pop and 3 or 4 of em would probably do it. then plain ole water will be its new best friend.but for real yank da guys mustache off man

Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 89K5gasahollica
the mechanic would be minus a mustache by means the same as my flaps were removed if it were me dude,lol. brakelines are a cakewalk just take the wheel off.steel braided new ones are somewhat inexpensive and look good.if your undercarriage is something you see regularly and its cleanliness is a issue might i suggest apply'n undercoating to it? its available in spray cans round 8 bucks a pop and 3 or 4 of em would probably do it. then plain ole water will be its new best friend.but for real yank da guys mustache off man

Sorry, I forgot to mention. I also used Engine Enamel on the frame, rear wheelwells and the crossmembers. I used Rust Reformer on any rusty parts except for the lines.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I pressure wash the undercarriage shouldn't hurt anything especially since you took care of the rust. most people don't even think about washing under their truck so just rinsing it off every once in a while will help prevent rust/damage