2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre road trip maintenance suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member
edacsac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre road trip maintenance suggestions

Hi all,

I don't know if I picked the right sub-forum, but I want to get some ideas on what I should check out before a good size road trip - maybe 3k miles.

I have just under 65k on my 99 2door blazer. I've had my front end rebuilt (ball joints and all that), manifold gasket replaced (along with thermostat, water pump, serp belt), short drive shafts replaced during warranty - no problems since getting the torsion bars? adjusted correctly. Fluid changes are done regularily (except for tranny fluid after the first change at 15k. I'm affraid to have that changed, since I'verun into many folks that have it changed and have major transmission issuesright after). Tranny seems good though. I getone or twolate shifts from first to seconddirectly after refueling, but nothing other than that. I get a little bit of clunk going from park to drive, but past experience has never had me changing u-joints before 90k on mine or anyone elses anything. I baby the throttle since day one, especially during shifting. Breaks are done was needed (havent' messed whith wheel bearings though since they are pressed?), filters and pcv as needed. Battery is new.

All in all I'm pretty confident in my blazers reliability, but I've never done a long road trip with it and want to get a list of things I should check before going. I'll be driving long stretches in no mans land, and would like to avoid problems with a checkup, and I know you guys are pretty hip as to what may be next on my maintenance list. I'll most likely take it in to a mechanic due to time contraints.

I appreciate any suggestions on what to check, and how I should talk to themechanic to make sure he's on the same page as me, and maybe even what I might be paying for a checkup like this.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Pre road trip maintenance suggestions

Other than the tranny stuff I think you pretty much covered most things. I found to make sure you top up your windshield washer fluid and maybe keep a little extra in the vehicle. Other than that I can't think of anything offhand. Have a good trip. How far you headed??

Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Beginning Member
edacsac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply!

Think I should consider the tranny? If there are tranny issues, then the vacation money will be gone.

I live in Detroit MI and I'll be driving to the Upper Penninsula (Porcupine Mt. area). I think it's about 1k one way.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wouldnt worry about the tranny too much. my dad had his fluid replaced on our old van and about 1000 miles later it went out. i have 126k on my blazer and everytime i get an oil change i am told to change the fluid because there are metal shavings in it. but those metal shavings help the tranny gears from not slipping.

that said, if you havent had your oil changed in a while i would do that and sheck you air filter. if it is dirty i would have it replaced (help save a little money on gas).

othere than that, like dabber said make sure you have plenty of washer fluid.

i would also check pressure on your tires

that should be it... have a great trip!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

With only 65,000 miles on your truck, I would have that transmission fluid exchanged and a new filter before the trip. I have exchanged the trans fluid and filter on several cars and trucks with 90,000 plus miles on them Inever had a problem.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

It was having the same delayed 1-2 shift as well, and flushed the tranny, put in a new filter, and she shifts like new. Hardly any free-wheeling feeling! Drives like the Range Rover again