2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Pre-winter maintenance, a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
kf7lcw is on a distinguished road
Default Pre-winter maintenance, a couple questions

Hi All,

Been driving my blazer daily for the past year or so with no problems, but with winter approaching I believe it's time to take care of a few maintenance issues I've been *cough* ignoring.

My plan is to do a coolant flush, new serpentine belt, and t-stat. It looks like its time to flush the coolant, the belt slips a little, and its always seemed to run cold, so I figure a t-stat can't hurt. My questions are: Would it be beneficial to do the water pump while I'm at it? Also It has green coolant. My thought is keep it green, but would appreciate input about switching it back to dex. Also should it be considered normal to use about a cup of coolant in a year?

Also I need some advice on my 4x4 system. When I first bought the rig, the 4x4 didn't work. I traced it to a combination of a bad Vac solenoid and corroded connection on the TCCS. I replaced the solenoid and cleaned/greased the connection and have had the following symptoms since:

2HI to 4HI, 4HI to 2HI, either to AUTO works just fine, no problems. When I go into 4LO, it works fine, but coming back out has you worried on occasion lol. Often times it will flash 4HI or 2HI whichever your trying to go into but after 5 seconds or so stop and 4LO flashes a couple times then goes solid. My cousin brought up I may need to put it in reverse and back up a few feet then go back to neutral, I have previously just shifted stopped in neutral. I've always been able to get it to shift it sometimes just takes a few tries. Any thoguhts?

Last edited by kf7lcw; 09-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

All these topics have been covered on this forum,but you gave no mileage specifics.It can never hurt to swap the pump,if its original and you have anything more than 150K. You can tell if its already been changed just by looking at it,if its rusty its a replacement,if you see at least some black paint it may be original. DexC should be run in these engines due to aluminum/cast mating surfaces. If the LIM has not been changed at this point,it will eventually need to be if you continue using green coolant:sooner than later. Search this site-all your answers are here.