2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear hatch wont "pop"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that can open it, but it does not fix the problem. We have several threads here discussing the issue pertaining to whether it is a tailgate vs a liftgate rear. The solution and repair varies based on the design.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
richiekeystone is on a distinguished road

Indeed, this will work for blazers that have the interior gate handle. Many of the probs are the glass not releasing. This will release the glass so you dont have to damage interior panel.

What happened with mine was: a plastic piece extending from the actuater broke. I reached inside interior door panel through a small opening and felt release mechanism. Glass now opens. Remove gate panel. remove screws to turn over metal cover plate. Trimmed off some of plastic from broken piece. Drilled a hole through it large enough to fit coat hanger. Bent coat hanger with pliers to hold in plastic piece and hole in metal release bar. Saved 200 bucks LOL. Hope this helps some of you out.

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-05-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road
Default Rear hatch button

My rear hatch button does not always work. The key fob button and interior button for the release always work. I have found in other posts a source for the button (rockauto.com) but thier listing does not cover 2003 model and I e-mailed them directly to see if the part listed for the 2002 was the same and was told it was not. I still am looking for a replacement button.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Hey dave, when u push the rear hatch button can u hear the mechanism working. If so u probably have same prob I had and is easy to fix.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richiekeystone
Hey dave, when u push the rear hatch button can u hear the mechanism working. If so u probably have same prob I had and is easy to fix.
Sometimes (most of the times) when I push the button on the tailgate I hear nothing. There are occasions when the hatch pops perfectly when the button is pushed. At all times the interior release button and the remote button pops the hatch. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
phphinph is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem going on with mine. However, I managed to get the glass open but still can not get the gate down. Pulling the interior trim away at the hump got the glass issue solved, but there is not enough room to get the release mechanism for the gate latch. Also, are there latches on both sides? I feel there is only a latch for the gate on the passenger side.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
elmog is on a distinguished road
Default hatch button

Originally Posted by richiekeystone
try your nearest junk yard.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:45 AM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by elmog
try your nearest junk yard.
This same problem happened to my moms Blazer and we did the whole crawl in the back with a screw driver to release the window. Well one day that stopped working so like a sucker I went to the dealership to buy a whole new unit (the actuater still worked just a broken plastic part) for $90, that's just ridiculous considering all I need was the plastic part.

I never thought of a junk yard or a coat hanger. I could have saved her $90

If it happens to my Blazer I know where to go now

Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Default fuse probs

I had some problems with my blazer when I first got it. The auto lock and unlock would not work after a few days. The alarm as well. Turns out there was a solonoid in the fuse panel that kept over heating. there are two in mine, they have an aluminum casing on them. replaced it and works fine now. Some others on here said they replaced dome light fuse, may check that as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
basstracker is on a distinguished road

Had same problem with one of my Jimmy's, found out that if the area around the tailgate button got a lot of dust in it, it would not allow the button to get fully pushed in. I thought maybe oil it, but that just doubled the problem, pressure wash, cleaned the area around it and works fine

Quick Reply: Rear hatch wont "pop"