2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'Rebuilding' Updated MPFI fuel spider assembly??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
PuckinBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default 'Rebuilding' Updated MPFI fuel spider assembly??

So, I got a MPFI spider unit from a friend's 2003 Astro that was totalled in the rear end but ran fine previously. I want to put it in my 2000 Blazer that still has the old poppet CSFI unit. I checked the injectors ohm resistance and tested function with a few AA batteries stacked together.
I want to replace the O-rings and plastic tubes on the injectors, but cannot find replacement parts for the newer unit anywhere! Only for the old style.
any advice?
Thanks!!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

As long as I've been in this and other forms I've never seen a single person rebuild a spider.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member
PuckinBlazer is on a distinguished road

I dont see why everyone buys brand new assemblies for $200+ when used MPFIs are a dime a dozen at scrapyards. And you're right, I've searched thoroughly with a bunch of different combinations of keywords and can't find anything. Perhaps folks are too lazy to spend half an hour removing used ones to chance it. Everything checks out with this one, and it's 100% free. I'm going to throw it in and i'll post the results.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Spray it down with starter fluid to clean it and throw that joker in. I don't think there's any "rebuilding" of the spider injector...

Old 08-12-2017, 07:53 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PuckinBlazer
I dont see why everyone buys brand new assemblies for $200+ when used MPFIs are a dime a dozen at scrapyards. And you're right, I've searched thoroughly with a bunch of different combinations of keywords and can't find anything. Perhaps folks are too lazy to spend half an hour removing used ones to chance it. Everything checks out with this one, and it's 100% free. I'm going to throw it in and i'll post the results.
because I only like doing the job once

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You've checked that the injector is electrically sound, but not that it has a known and consistent spray pattern. This is not done as you typically have no idea of the age, usage, or fuel quality used in the assembly pulled from a junk motor and are taking a chance on wasting hours of time involved in the process of removing and installing your "rebuilt" injection spider.

I used quotes on rebuilt as the process you describe does not rebuild anything, just reassembled with parts of unknown mechanical health. Rebuilding denotes a process of actual restoration of the functional parts. In this case, the functional parts that have not been reconditioned are the nozzle & seat components inside the individual injectors which are instrumental in fuel delivery.

Do not attempt to replace the lines that run from the metering block to the injector. They are not available except on new injectors. Incidentally, new injectors bought individually cost more than a complete injection spider.