2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission and oil line removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:44 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Transmission and oil line removal tool

So I have not had a chance to test these but there are tools for removing the oil lines for the automatic transmission and engine oil that go to the radiator. I hope someone might find this information useful.

The fittings are called Jiffy-Tite and an online search for "JIffy-Tite tools" should give you plenty of hits.

This tool wraps around the tube and it has lips that get in to where the e-clips (spring-clips) are and when you rotate it it pushes back the springs. This saves having to remove the spring clips and risk losing them. This also allows you to reuse them.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/3-8-low-profile-jiffy-tite-disconnect

Below are just a couple examples.

There are metal versions and even plastic ones.

https://alleganytoolco.com/shop/jiff...astic-jt5kitp/

https://alleganytoolco.com/shop/jiff...ce-kit-jt5kit/

Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

My 95 has regular old flare fittings for the radiator fittings. No special tool needed other than a wrench. Wonder why all the manufacturers went to those clip in style fittings?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
My 95 has regular old flare fittings for the radiator fittings. No special tool needed other than a wrench. Wonder why all the manufacturers went to those clip in style fittings?
I can see how the clip style fittings could be attractive to the manufacturers.

During assembly of the lines to the major components, e.g. the radiator, the connection is quicker to make and there is no worry about cross-threading that could create a leak and slow down getting the vehicle out of the factory. There also might be an advantage to being able to incorporate o-rings into the female fitting that would surround the tube when assembled. Also, it might be easier to check if the fitting is attached well or not; in the case of the Jiffy-Tite it will either pull back out or not but with a threaded fitting it could be only somewhat secured.

I think we've all wondered at times "Now why did they do it that way?" I've decided that at least for GM, the ease of maintenance is a lower priority over less expensive/faster assembly in the factory.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I think you're right. It's all about what makes it easier at the factory, which in turn increases efficiency and profit.

Personally, I prefer metal flare fittings over the plastic push clips any day! I've broken a few clip ins in the past, trying to figure out how to get them apart (usually with needle nose and screwdrivers, cause I'm too cheap to buy the proper tool!) but I've never cross threaded a flare fitting
​​​​​

Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Nice find, Christine. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
Nice find, Christine. Thanks for the info.
Thanks. I was motivated by not having a repeat of what happened the last time I worked on the radiator in which I lost two of those wire E-clips.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:23 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I worked as a mechanic for 25 years and I didn't even know such a tool existed. I've always pulled out the clips (usually with a lot of foul language). I might have to buy some now, even though I don't have those fittings on my radiator anymore.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
I worked as a mechanic for 25 years and I didn't even know such a tool existed. I've always pulled out the clips (usually with a lot of foul language). I might have to buy some now, even though I don't have those fittings on my radiator anymore.
Did you see the plastic ones? They are less expensive than the metal ones. It might be worth a try to get those if you know you might need them. For me, I'm hoping that all of my systems that would use such fittings have been upgraded or replaced the last few years and will not need to be worked on for quite a while.