General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

HELP, stripped oil line thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default HELP, stripped oil line thread

OK, so install my new radiator today. Hooking everything back up, tighten everything. Fire it up. Im getting it up to temp and topping off the new coolant, and notice that Im standing in a huge puddle of oil. I go to tighten up the line and it turns easy... The upper line seems to have peeled the threads out of that cheap aluminum fitting thats part of the radiator. I doubt the rad place is going to give me a new one since it appears that I stripped the threads out myself. I dont want to drop another 135 for another rad. Is there any way I can fix this fitting? Its the one on the drivers side, top of rad. Has that thing that looks like a huge nut with a fitting in the middle. Maybe I can remove it and replace it with a new one? How do I get that part out of the rad. It was already installed in the new rad.

Is it possible for a rad to leak oil into the coolant? Could I tell them this happened and hope they give me a new one?

Maybe I can just get a hose and join the 2 oil lines with that for now to stop the leaking? Is it a problem if I run with no oil cooler for a while? Its winter here already. Then I can figure a way to repair this thing and still be mobile?

Can I Heli-Coil something like this? Ive never used inserts before.

Need help, cant run the truck intil I get this leak stopped.

Last edited by ohsofly; 10-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is it leaking around the fitting in the radiator or between the fitting and the line? I can't remember exactly, but isn't there supposed to be an o-ring in that fitting that seals off on the cooler line?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Nah its a double flare nut like brake lines only larger. I peeled the threads out of the insert in the radiator cause this new rad has cheap korean aluminum inserts, where the old one had solid american steel...

I figure if I just make a loop I can join the oil cooler lines together and bypass the cooler. I live in canada, I dont need to cool my oil! I just need to stop it from pissin allover the ground when the engines on.

Ill make the loop tomorrow so I can drive it to work and the mechanics there may be able to helicoil it for me, or have another fix for me. We have a whole HD shop there, Im sure we will figure something out.

Made a real mess under to hood, good thing we have a stellar wash bay too!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard of people doing that before. Up north you should be ok.