2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission Pan Filled with oil of some sort!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Pan Filled with oil of some sort!!

Hey guys I got a quick question.....that need help answering cant seem to find the answer for it....ok so today i was coming home from work and my phone fell and went under my blazer. So while i was down there trying to get my cell i noticed that the tranny pan is filled with build up oil or grease i dont know what it is. Its black has no odor. So i checked the tranny fluid level and its in between the low and high level so its good because i had the fluid replaced 3 months ago so its still at the same level. The oil is fine had it done 3 months also. I have no idea what it could be and I dont have time to take it to a shop primarily its my everyday vehicle and i work 6 days a week anything will help. The truck runs great and shifts smooth. I havent done anything yet though i just got off work and im tired worked a 11 hour shift and dont have time to do anything today. I'll get a chance to clean the pan on monday and see if its actually leaking fluid o what not but till then any ideas of what it could be......
1996 Chevy blazer LS 4x4 Auto Trans.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

is it kinda of a black tar type goo, if it is than i have the same under mine to and i have been kinda wondering that for a while and still have no answer.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by redneck44244
is it kinda of a black tar type goo, if it is than i have the same under mine to and i have been kinda wondering that for a while and still have no answer.
Ok so we have the same thing have u noticed anything different while you drive or had any problems cuz mine hasnt idk if it was like that before o it just started have u taken it to a shop?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

no i have not noticed any problems, but it did have an oil leak coming from around the oil pan between the block when i first got it but i fixed that right away and i have always just assumed it was from that but never really worried about it because i could not find anything else wrong with it, and no i have not taken it to a shop mainly because i my self am a mechanic so really no need to take it to a shop and ive asked the more experienced guys at work and none of them really had answer so i just never really worried about it.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by redneck44244
no i have not noticed any problems, but it did have an oil leak coming from around the oil pan between the block when i first got it but i fixed that right away and i have always just assumed it was from that but never really worried about it because i could not find anything else wrong with it, and no i have not taken it to a shop mainly because i my self am a mechanic so really no need to take it to a shop and ive asked the more experienced guys at work and none of them really had answer so i just never really worried about it.
O i see well im going to replace the pan gasket and the tranny fluid filter tomorrow just in case and maybe check the drain plug to see if its not stripped. I know its not causing any problems but just to be safe im going to do that and clean it up so if there is any other sort of leak that i missed i can tell right away.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

It's oil, check your oil cooler lines for leaks, these things ALWAYS leak. just run through a few big puddles and wash it off LOL. Or leave it and think of it of cheap rust proofing.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
It's oil, check your oil cooler lines for leaks, these things ALWAYS leak. just run through a few big puddles and wash it off LOL. Or leave it and think of it of cheap rust proofing.
\

Your right i had a neighbor whose a mechanic to check it out it all looked like a small insignificant transmission fluid leak at first until i took the cover that is under the motor and its leaking out of the motor oil pan and the cooler lines and also where the transmission meets the motor itll run me about 450$ so im going to get that fix tomorrow hopefully if everything goes well. I was amazed because i wasnt expecting it to be that bad.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:19 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

filled or covered?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

^^ He meant covered. It's supposed to be filled with oil (trans oil) LOL

Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
filled or covered?
Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
^^ He meant covered. It's supposed to be filled with oil (trans oil) LOL
Yeah lol....meant covered but automatically by looking at the question you be able to figure out what i meant, but hey thanks for correcting me.