2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Using OBD2 Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using OBD2 Scanner

I have an OBD-2 Scanner that I use on my vehicles that hooks up to my laptop. It will scan things as I drive and such, and log all the data so I can review it later on back in the comfort of the house.

I was wondering if there is anywhere that I may be able to find a baseline as to what all the sensors in the vehicle should be reading, so then I will be able to tell if something is reading off?

Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Using OBD2 Scanner

No... Not really. I wish there were. All of the sensors have different readings based on altitude, ambient temperature, etc, etc...
They won't be off by much, but they will differ.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Old 12-09-2005, 05:58 PM

I got it from here

obd-2.com

I like the way it all works pretty good.

I first got it back when I had my Mustang, which was a 96 GT. It was pretty helpful with it. I don't know if it was just more of an enthusiast car or what, but I could get on some of the online forums and there was just a lot more information. More people had those types of programs and scanners and such, and everyone was always sharing information. After a while, I kind of had my own little database worked up for what I should expect to see.

It's actually been a long time since I've used any of it. I'm having to re-learn what certain things are, and what it means when certain scesors read what. A lot of it is going to just be letting my laptop record during my normal driving, and eventually I'll get it figured out again.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't really shopped around for one, but that seems like a good price. Of course I probably should just start with a reader, rather than recording it in a laptop.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Probably depends on what all you want to use it for.

A reader would probably work good for what I use this stuff for anymore, just something to basically just pull codes with.
This one here works with GM, Ford, Chrysler, and a few other types of cars.

Like now though, I have an odd problem with my blazer, it's lost somewhere back in the pages in the general tech help. It will hopefully be useful for me with diagnosing that, I'm hoping that it will happen one day when I have the laptop hooked to it and see what the trouble is by analyzing the data. Right now it's not popping up any codes or anything though so I'm still not sure.