2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1998 LS - Won't start after night playing in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
MintyMadness is on a distinguished road

Fuel pump didn't want to engage again... I want to recap real quick to make sure everyone who may read this, understands where I am coming from exactly:

1.) Monday night (02/08/2010) I go out. No problems with fuel pump *at all* since I bought truck in September of 09. This is including multiple cross-state road trips. I go out and play in the snow for about 2.5-3 hours. Snow is packed into all crevices of the truck when I get home.
2.) Tuesday night (02/09/2010) truck fuel pump will not engage. Takes me a while to figure out that is the problem.
3.) Today (02/10/2010) I bang on the gas tank with a mallet while cousin turns key, fuel pump buzzes to life and truck works fine.
4.) Tonight (02/10/2010) went to cousin's work (rich and charlie's resturaunt) and truck worked fine. Went outside for a smoke break and even turned it on then. fired up no problem. Went to leave an hour later, and fuel ump won't initialize. get cousin to come out and turn hte keywhile I wap it with a hammer, it kicks to life.

When the fuel pump DOES come back on, have no hesitation, no stutter, no problems at ALL. could this just be a loose connection or something to that effect?? Just wonering as anyone would who is faced with a $625 bill...

-Jeremy

Old 02-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need a new pump. It is not a weak connection, but worn brushes in the pump motor. Hitting the tank jars the motor enough to kick it to life. That will work for only so long.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You need a new pump. It is not a weak connection, but worn brushes in the pump motor. Hitting the tank jars the motor enough to kick it to life. That will work for only so long.

Thank you!!

This is what I was looking for. So the brushings are more than likely going out? I just like to know this stuff, for the sake of knowing it.. call it OCD i guess, haha.

Well at this rate, I will take it to the shop when my tax return gets direct deposited (tomorrow supposedly), for $625.00..
Unless one of you lives close enough around St. Louis, and wants to let me borrow your garage!! (I could make it worth the trouble for sure!)

-Jeremy

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member

Sorry for the long delay. It's been a long week.

Got the fuel pump replaced, and it's firing up and starting/running no problem.
They also tightened up loose nuts and bolts apparently, in one of the upper ball joints that stopped the popping sound I was hearing when turning... I think I might still have it replaced... it's an original (the only one left) and i may as well...

Got some new tires too while I was at it, an oil change, and a coolant flush. I don't think this truck has ever HAD a coolant flush, and I'm a little ashamed I waited so long to get one done myself... truck runs so much better now, and it didn't really run "bad" before!

I still want to get the front end tightened up and the doors re-sealed.. Should I do the resealing myself?

Thanks for all of your help and input previously.

-Jeremy

Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member
Blazerboy1611 is on a distinguished road

Im from the STL and we had the same snow which part of ST, louis are you in?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Blazerboy1611
Im from the STL and we had the same snow which part of ST, louis are you in?

South County - Lemay Ferry and 255.

-Jeremy

Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Does your fuel gauge work after replacing the fuel pump?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

if the gauge doesnt work it is more than likely the sending unit is bad. changing the pump wont fix a non working gas gauge.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hubert hefner
if the gauge doesnt work it is more than likely the sending unit is bad. changing the pump wont fix a non working gas gauge.

on his year the sending unit and pump are one piece

Old 02-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
Does your fuel gauge work after replacing the fuel pump?
Yes it has, sorry forgot to mention that. It works flawlessly. Also, my truck apparently has the bigger gas tank.. (for anyone who may come across this in researching..?)

Originally Posted by hubert hefner
See below:

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
on his year the sending unit and pump are one piece
Correct!

The ball upper ball joint that they tightened down, is I guess "loose" again, as it's started making the popping sound again.. I asked them while I was there if it needed to be replaced (minimal cost honestly compared to the other stuff being done) and they insisted it only needed to be tightened. Should I take it back and insist on a replacement? It's the last one to be replaced at this point, and I'm pricing shocks/struts replacement as I type this. Lot of info to sift through!

-Jeremy