2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 4-door Blazer fuel gauge & line rot

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Beginning Member
packrat1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 4-door Blazer fuel gauge & line rot

Hi,

Isn't it amazing how one small repair project can morph into something much larger and expensive? It all started with a flaky gas gauge. Ok, GM in their infinite wisdom decided to make the fuel gauge sender an integral part of the fuel pump. I guess they are in the business of selling fuel pumps.

Now, for whatever reason, no one in NE Wisconsin seems to have just the gauge sender. Okay, it's a 14-year old truck. I'll fork over the $300 or so for a new AC Delco fuel pump. Oh yeah, don't forget another $24 for the short tank hanger that was so rusted on, the bolt twisted off and broke. Wait!. There's also a $22 fuel pump retainer/lock ring to replace the OEM one that has returned to the ore from which it came.

Out comes the tank. Two days later (I do have a daytime job), the tank is cleaned, empty, and housing a new fuel pump/sender unit. Oh yeah, did AC Delco bother telling anyone that the fuel strainer is now INSIDE the cheap plastic pump housing. It took 3 parts guys to track down this little tidbit of information.

Reinstall the tank. Buy another box of Band-Aids. Now would be a good time to replace the frame-mounted fuel filter, right? Another day and a half later, while looking at the broken end of the fuel feed line sticking out of the old filter, I consider what I would like to do to the GM engineer who decided this would be a wonderful place to install the filter. Such easy access would actually promote annual filter changes...right? Last filter installed in 2006.

Remove the gas tank. Again. Trace fuel lines so damaged feed line can be replaced. Discover a long section of ALL fuel/vapor lines is rapidly becoming one with the dirt and rust on the frame. Now the real fun begins. GM wants over $400 for OEM replacements. I told them where they could stick their fuel lines. I don't even think it's possible to reinstall the pre-bent OEM lines with the body sitting on the frame.

Several days of searching for aftermarket lines with GM quick disconnect ends. Apparently NO ONE makes these either. I was able to find short "repair" sections from Dorman et al. At least most of the OEM lines can be cut and compression fitted to new steel. Bending new 3/8" steel line is great fun.

Is there anything wrong with replacing the 1/4" vent line with regular fuel line? Why not? There are OEM stubs of regular fuel line on each end anyway. The 5/8" line to the carbon canister isn't a high pressure line either. Cut end off OEM line, double-flare the cut ends, and double hose clamp it. Right? Now the tough question. Is it inadvisable to use fuel injection rated hose (Barricade 225psi) for the other 5/8" line (return line?) from the tank to the quick disconnect hose under the driver's seat (near the filter)? What am I overlooking? Any relevant suggestions?

Thanks for reading this far,

packrat

Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are dealing with a typical scenario of any vehicle north of the Mason-Dixon line. The pump you purchased should have been complete:sender,strainer etc. The short strap is a "wear" item and should have been purchased before you dropped the tank,same with the lock ring! The fuel filters have been under GM vehicles since they went fuel injected;I feel it is a good location.If it is changed annually one should not have corrosion issues. A friend replaced all his rusted steel lines with high pressure rubber with no ill effects,just make sure you zip-tie it securely about every 6 inches or so.If you are going to keep this unit,now is the time to out engineer the engineers and make it suitable for YOUR needs! We have all been there...Have fun!