2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer no start, P0339 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Beginning Member
FtgSteve is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG

Watch the sensor power at the pink wire when you try to raise RPM's and it runs crappy

George
I back probed the incoming voltage wire at the sensor plug, connected my meter to it and grounded to the frame. The attached video shows voltage at idle, 2000 rpms when it is sputtering and almost backfiring, then back at normal idle rpms.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

OK then your crank sensor power looks good as does your general system voltage.

Because you have this crank sensor code its easy to get stuck on that sensor as the cause for all of this which may or may not be the case. That said, If you have changed sensors and tried the shimming process and inspected the entire reluctor wheel then the only thing left is the integrity of the two wires going to the engine computer and the computer itself (not likely). The full proof method is to observe the pulses at the computer connector with a scope as it starts to run crappy to see if you are losing the crank signal but most people here dont have an O scope. You can monitor with the meter in AC mode or pulse duty cycle mode to see if the signal gets wonky. Do you lose your rpm gauge when this happens (better yet the reading in live data)? After that, pull the connectors and check the two wires for resistance.

If everything looks good on the sensor output then we go back to the beginning and find out what goes off the rails when the truck starts running crappy:

Fuel delivery
Spark
Timing
Air
Mechanical problems

I would start with fuel pressure. The std fuel pump test in the sticky and what happens to pressure when it craps out. If not then we move on.

Do you have any freeze frame data to go with those codes?

Can you monitor live data?

George

Old 10-10-2022, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

I can monitor live data with a borrowed Snap On Solus Edge. I've got tlsveral files from the scanner but cant figure out how to watch or share them. I can video with my phone. Any specific readings to record?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 PM
BF Veteran

Since you have access to a high end scanner I would record the following all at once while you have this tool:

Do these three times, first cold engine key on engine off, then warm and at idle and then sputtering at higher rpms:

CMP retard
RPM
ECT
IAT
MAP
MAF
TPS
Ign voltage
LTFT1
STFT1
LTFT2
STFT2
B!S! O2 sensor graph
B2S! O2 sensor graph
B1S2 O2 sensor graph

Pay attention to the rpm when it starts running like crap but has not dropped yet and see if the signal is dropping out, an indirect look at the crank sensor signal. Also look at the TPS signal key on engine off as you move it back and forth through full range.

When I have a minute I am going to look at my snap on scanner to see if we can directly monitor the crank sensor output. Never came up before. Ill report back.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 10-11-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran

My Snap On scanner cannot monitor the crank sensor output.

George

Old 10-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

Still trying to figure out how to save readings from this scanner. This is all new to me. Will the attached picture show what we (...you) need? This is with engine cold, key on, engine off.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran

The purpose of these first readings (engine cold and off) is to see if the IAT, ECT and MAP sensors agree with the ambient conditions at the time of testing. How do they look?

Repeating these on a warm engine at idle and then 2500 will tell us a even more.

Adding the O2 sensor graphs will complete the deal.

George

Old 10-14-2022, 06:52 AM
Beginning Member

I attached the readings in Word and PDF formats. I hope this shows what is needed. In the last set of readings you can see the rpms jump all over the place when it starts missing and sometimes backfiring. The tach on the panel seems to match what the readings from the scanner show.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1999 Blazer data.pdf (1.82 MB, 25 views)
File Type: docx
1999 Blazer data.docx (368.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-14-2022, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran

I have a big day of catchup after a big day at the dentist yesterday so I will look at this after work tonight.

George

Old 10-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member

I completely understand. Thanks George.

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer no start, P0339 code