2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Starts easy the first time, long start/no start after

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough
Default 2000 Starts easy the first time, long start/no start after

Ok, here's the story, Had the blazer all fall with one no start sceneraio (bad battery). Parked the blazer for a couple weeks while it has been for sale, my gf decided to try to save some miles on here truck and take the blazer to work for the winter. First day she takes it it starts no problem. She gets to work and at lunch time starts up the truck, but it takes too long to defrost the windows so she shuts it off and goes back into work for her lunchbreak (around 11-1130). At 3, she gets out of work, goes to the truck and it won't start. (dead battery). Try boosting it but can't get the motor to turn over fast enough even with my truck hooked up with 4ga booster cables. Take battery back, tests bad, put new battery in ($76 partial warranty)... same result. eventually have it towed home(-10F out). Pull the grounds and clean them all and charge the new battery back to normal. Try starting the next day and it turns over fine but will not start. Eventually kill the battery trying to start it. put back on charger. Give up for the day. Following day I go out and turn the key and it starts perfectly fine? WTF? I can hear the fuel pump whenever I try to start it. Now If I start it and let it idle 30s then turn it off. Start it again for 30s and turn it off. After the 3rd or 4th time I do this it starts to go back to the no start scenario (crank but no start)... still can hear the pump run.. Any ideas what the hell is going on? is it aliens screwing with my mind?

on a side note, at night my cluster PRND indicator and mileage have a very faint green glow to them like they are not completely turning off? any ideas on this? common?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM

nothing eh?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

If I had to guess, I would consider the ignition switch.

EDIT: Just found this Service Bulletin online: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he..._Lights_On.pdf

Last edited by rockp2; 01-29-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

I would say it has to do with ignition parts cap rotor wires plugs in that area

Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Although it is very cold out, need to do some troubleshooting.
1) When the engine turns over but no start - check for spark, check fuel pressure. If one or both is not good, then dig further along that path.
2) With everything off, check dash lights - are they faintly glowing? Remove negative battery cable and recheck dash lights. Or if an amp meter is available, use it to check for current draw. Should only be a few milliamps for the radio memory, clock. Remove radio fuse and note drop in current.

Ignition switch is a probable fault, but could be something else.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM

well troubleshooting will be difficult on this one... blazer has started fine every day since first post. Been trying to get a fuel pressure gauge, none locally. Only lights that stay dimly lit are the prnd321 and the odometer. nothing else. everything seems to work properly. I started it about 10 times in a row yesterday without any issue? I did find a squirrel nest in the bottom of the intake box.. doubt it had any to do with it tho. cap/wires/rotor were all new last spring... done maybe 1500miles since.

Last edited by coolasice; 01-31-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: grammer