2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 Blazer, smaller starter wire ear broke off!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:33 AM
Beginning Member
elrobis is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Blazer, smaller starter wire ear broke off!

Had a heck of a day yesterday replacing the starter on an '02 Blazer (4 door, 4wd). I got it working, but I have some concerns about my install and need to know how big--or not--the problems are. In order of anxiety:

1. The little, "L-shape" ear on the smaller starter wire broke off while I was tightening it's nearly impossible to access bolt. I think it's the trigger wire that goes to the ignition switch. The circular portion of that terminal is fine, it's mounted and working, but my concerns are that it may not be oriented quite right, and also, because it's so close to the center wire, that they might arc. I did not see any arcing during cranking.

2. Also affecting the smaller/ignition wire: The new starter came with locking washers which the old starter did not have. When installing, the nut never seemed to get tight. Again, being unable to see what I was doing, I kept thinking I'd FEEL it stiffen up, but what really happened was that once the bolt reached the end of its travel, this is where it destroyed the terminal ear, then it just kept spinning in place stripping the threads on that small portion of the mounting post. Ultimately I used the nut from the old starter, which was a little bigger, and it firmed up, but I'm concerned it is literally holding on "by a thread" ..where I literally mean it's just wide enough to grab one additional thread, on which it's relying. Should I trust this starter and it's one-thread nut, or return it as a manufacturer defect .. which in my opinion such soft metal in such a difficult location is more a design flaw. The point is, can I trust it?

3. The bigger wire, which I think goes to the battery (?), suffered similar torquing abuse to the "L-shaped" ear for all the same reasons, but it survived purely because it was a little bigger, and at that point I was aware of the potential for the abuse. However, like the smaller wire, I'm not 100% sure I got the terminal and the ear oriented correctly. My biggest concern with the larger wire is potential for arcing.

4. (Edit) Honorable mention: Right after I got it installed, with all the electrical connection issues I mentioned, I had my girlfriend start it while I watched through the service hole for arcing. ....she double-cranked it. That is, the engine started, and she cranked it again. So sincerely, on it's first usage it was ground into the flywheel. Between us, we really did a number on it.

Should I return this starter due to the stripped post threads and start over? Is my concern about that broken terminal ear warranted? If so how would I fix it..? What do you guys think. I'm terrified that this particular starter was born to be unlucky. And I'm having a lot of anxiety wondering if it's not going to start in like three months, shortly after I've started to trust it, and taken it camping, down some long, bouncy dirt road in the Smoky Mountains. Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any feedback. Ugh.

Last edited by elrobis; 01-19-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added something I forgot to mention
Old 01-19-2020, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If the two wires contact each other, the starter will start cranking and you won't be able to stop it. If the solenoid is still good on the old starter, maybe you can re-use it on the new one. You'll need to verify that they're the same length. Otherwise, I would get another starter and try again with a little less torque on the nuts.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:47 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
If the two wires contact each other, the starter will start cranking and you won't be able to stop it. If the solenoid is still good on the old starter, maybe you can re-use it on the new one. You'll need to verify that they're the same length. Otherwise, I would get another starter and try again with a little less torque on the nuts.
Your not going to get arcing with 12V unless you are making and breaking contact and then only at extremely close distances. It takes the high voltage of the secondary side of the ignition system to jump large air gaps (same as static electricity and lightning). If you ever do get stuck because of the threaded post for the purple wire, just turn on the ignition and short the large battery cable and its post to the small post temporarily and the truck will start. I've started vehicles and boats with screwdrivers, butter knives, etc. That would get you home.

As far as the starter that you have now, the "L shaped" tabs are toast with any starter and not very important. Just take care to orientate the ring connector when tightening. As far as the solenoid threads, just depends on if you can torque the nut down properly or not.

George