2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2003 2WD Blazer Rear Disc and Pad Replacement. Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 PM
XTREME POS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2003 2WD Blazer Rear Disc and Pad Replacement. Help please?

As the subject says, I'm attempting to replace my rear rotors and pads myself on my 2WD Blazer and so far I've removed the rear wheel, caliper and pads. I'm stuck trying to get this damn rotor off. Either it's seized up on me or i'm missing something. I have it somewhat loose but if feels like something is holding it back. The ebrake is also off. The 4 bolts on the back of the wheel bearing hub don't need to come off, correct? This is driving me nuts. Any advice anyone?

Old 05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2003 2WD Blazer Rear Disc and Pad Replacement. Help please?

Did you get it off yet?

If not let me make sure I understand your delima.
The rotor is loose however it won't come off?
Your e-brake is stopping it from coming off. The easiest way to get it off is to pry/pull on one side with your hand, using your other hand tap the hat "(section between rotor face and wheel mounting surface, in other words the area where the e-rake contacts teh drum) with a hammer. Each tap loosens teh e-brake momentarily and while its loose your pulling will move it out some. Now do the other side the same way.

your slowely working the rotor off by rocking it back and forth, each time your rock it tap the drum hat to free the brake.

Now if your problem is the rotor is stuck and wont move at all, you ahve a rust bond between the rotro and hub. Spray PB Blaster in each lug stud hole in teh rotor and spin it around in circles so the fluid works its way around. If your aim with a hammer isn't so great, put your lug nuts on for the next step, the threads you save will be your own. Get out the ballpeen hammer and pound the rotor between the lug sutds. USe the peen end (rounded side). This will break the rust bond, beat on it in a cross pattern (like you do when tightening the lug nuts). The older the rust the hard the whacks to get it free. DO NOT beat on the rotor face, you WILL damage it, and then it MUST be replaced. I once had to beat a Ford rotor off in chunks.

Post up how it went.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM

my problem sounds more like the first part of your advice. the rotor is somewhat loose, but i just can't seem to wiggle it off the hub for the life of me. Even if the e-brake is disengaged, is it still holding the rotor on to some extent? i'm going to find a rubber mallet and try to knock at it a bit more. Also, are there any threads in the DIY section addressing this subject b/c I can't seem to find any. Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

no need for a rubber mallet, I use a ballpeen hammer, sometimes beating the crap out of it.

I don't know of a write-up, however I dont frequent the Do-It-Yourself section offen.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM

well after researching a bit i guess its the shoes from the parking brake that are still grabbing the rotor even though the parking brake is off. supposedly there is an adjustment screw for the parking brake shoes behind the rotor where the parking brake cable connects but im still having trouble finding it. i would probably be able to beat the hell out of the back of the rotor and get it off except for the fact the there is a plate behind it with the only opening being for the pads and caliper. this is one big pain in my ***. anyone know where this adjustment screw is exaclty and what type of head it is?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran

By far the fastest and easiest way to get teh rotor off is the method I outlined above.
Beat/pull, beat/pull and repeat. Your not hitting hte back of the shield, your hitting the side of the rotor. Its not a ard 16penny hit, its more like a finihs nail love tap. tap/pull, etc.....

If your serious about releasing the the parking brake. Look for a rubber plug int eh dust shield about 3/4" wide and 1/4" tall. Pry it out nad stick a screw driver in there to loosen the adjuster. One way tightens it, and the other way loosens it. and by time your done farting around with that you could have had the rotor off by now the other way.

Seems like your making this into more of a projet then it needs to be.