2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4WD Posi Lok system // Diff Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4WD Posi Lok system // Diff Diagram

1999 Blazer 4WD
Has anyone kissed off the standard vacuum actuator system and installed one of these? Seems like a great idea tosimplify the front lockup of the Diff. It also allows for 2WD LOW. Not sure why you would want that, but..

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-s.html

Does any have or can anyone point me to an exploded diagram of the Front Diff ? trying to understand what moves to shift these front axles into drive. i.e. the cable draws back into the actuator and.. well what does that pull inside the diff? Is it a 'clutch fork' kind of thing, if so, what does it move? Installing this kit, it appears that disconnecting the cable housing from teh diff that there is no fluid loss, that housing is so far down on the Diff, how is that possible? That's why I would love to see a diagram of the internal workings of this Diff.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4WD Posi Lok system // Diff Diagram

A member (mysons95) wrote up a how-to on doing just this, but with off the shelf parts from your local autoparts store for MUCH less money. Best part about this is all you do is remove the vacuum actuator and connect up the pull cable to the cable already installed into the diff.

THIS THREAD covers one option, but there is cheaper things for the avid DIYer.

And HERE is the much cheaper method posted by mysons95.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM

I just found this article. I get it now. I's more like a manual Trani Fork then a Clutch fork idea.

http://www.s10extremist.org/tech_art...front_diff.htm

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM

The MYSONS95 article is interesting. I can certainly fabricate something and mount it in a less obvious spot. It's basically the First generation of the POSI LOK system but he did not use the little Pivot bracket they have, he pulls direct.

If my real issue is with the vacuum actuator and now I have a nice looking LOCKING cable part number, I may just make this myself.

Still not sure why my 4WD button lights IF the actuator cable isn't moving. maybe it just isn't moving enough toshift the fork and lockthe diff.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Odd , I guess the Actuator Cable never goes bad. I was hoping to get a used one (E-bay) so I can cut the end off and fabricate a Screw it into the Diff cable myself. Using a NAPA locking Pull Cable.