2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'95 Blazer dead since January '09

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM
94Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default '95 Blazer dead since January '09

Trying to help a friend of mine. He has a '95 Blazer LT with a CPI 4.3 that hasn't run since New Years. The truck was driven into a parking spot and then refused to start. The usual stuff has been checked or replaced
plugs
wires
cap/rotor
swapped distributors
new fuel pump
has 60lbs of fuel pressure
swapped the injector
replaced fuel pressure regulator
has pulse signal to injector
crank sensor
distributor and guts
tps
computer
ignition switch from a wreck was installed
pulled timing cover off and checked timing chain and gears

Several of the parts have been swapped from another blazer which is still currently being driven by his son.

The engine still cranks but refuses to even try to fire. Tried to start it with a whif of ether and it did not fire. So I'm left to figure it's either spark or fuel. Either the spider that was swapped in was bad (isn't distributing the fuel) or it isn't getting spark. All fusible links are good and fuses as well.
An aftermarket head unit and a remote start was installed as well, long before it stopped running. We cut all the wires for the remote start hoping it would help. Also the aftermarket stereo was removed by his son to put in his other Blazer. Is there a way to disable the Theftlock? I'm left to believe the security system has been tripped either by the aftermarket stereo or the remote start and especially now after the "new" ignition switch was installed. I've heard that a resistor can be installed inline to disable the security system...just need to know if this applies to this truck being a '95 and if so, where does it need to be installed?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no paslock in a 95 that im aware of have you checked for spark?
pull off a plug wire and hold it near a ground and see if it sparks

Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Yes, we've checked for spark. It should've at least tried to fire on ether if there was spark, even if it was weak.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by packofqtips
there is no paslock in a 95 that im aware of have you checked for spark?
pull off a plug wire and hold it near a ground and see if it sparks
he's right 94Jimmy.

i don't see any mention of changing the ignition module yet. since you mention, "Yes, we've checked for spark. It should've at least tried to fire on ether if there was spark, even if it was weak.", i would guess that there wasn't any spark then?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the mention of remote start, is there a kill switch still wired in somewhere or an interlock that you didnt cut out?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Beginning Member
Awesome is on a distinguished road

Try unplugging the TPS. Sometimes mine does that and it fires right up... then I plug the TPS back in and it runs fine until the other problem(s) kick in.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by portcqb
I saw the mention of remote start, is there a kill switch still wired in somewhere or an interlock that you didnt cut out?
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 PM

The ignition module has been changed. Almost all of the parts that were changed were swapped off another Blazer that is still running and driving with the parts off this '95.

I know of one switch that was under the hood for the remote start, just push button so you couldn't use it with the hood open. All the wires in the diagram for the remote start were cut under the dash where they had been soldered into the factory harness.

I would have more news but the truck is four hours away from my place and it's not easy to go look at it.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Have you tried a new coil? Mine was getting spark, but not firing at one point. Replaced the coil and all was well. Are you sure you're getting fuel? Try to crank it a few times, then pull one or more plugs and see if they smell like fuel.